Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

why copy act calendar to outlook

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

why copy act calendar to outlook

I'm trying to figure out why I would ever copy my act calendar to outlook. Was that functionality only created for people that have PDAs that synch to their Outlook calendar but don't synch to their Act calendar for some reason? Or is there some other reason why I should want to copy my Act calendar to Outlook that I am overlooking?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr. Douglas
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: why copy act calendar to outlook

Hi Mr. Dougl.

I think that is a pretty good question, because I had to think through that when I came back to ACT. 

For me, I sync from Outlook to ACT because I am a rogue user of ACT in my company.  The rest of the company is standardized on Outlook.  My manager requires that he is able to see my calendar.  Additionally, there are people in the company who can set appointments for me.  Since they do not use ACT, they set the appointment in Outlook.  I then sync it to ACT.

Now, in your case, you would sync to Outlook because many of the people you communicate with also use Outlook or Outlook Express.  Like it or not, Outlook is pretty much the industry-wide standard.  Also, if you are using Microsoft Word, you will want to take advantage of formatting features in Outlook that are not available in the ACT mail client. 

If you are using Outlook 2007, a new feature is that you can publish your calendar to others showing when you are busy and free.  A really helpful tool, IMHO.

Getting back to your original question, you will sync to Outlook so others can see your schedule if you are using ACT as your baseline for everything.

I know I rambled a little, but I hope this helped a bit.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr. Douglas
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Hi Mr. Dougl.

I think that is a pretty good question, because I had to think through that when I came back to ACT. 

For me, I sync from Outlook to ACT because I am a rogue user of ACT in my company.  The rest of the company is standardized on Outlook.  My manager requires that he is able to see my calendar.  Additionally, there are people in the company who can set appointments for me.  Since they do not use ACT, they set the appointment in Outlook.  I then sync it to ACT.

Now, in your case, you would sync to Outlook because many of the people you communicate with also use Outlook or Outlook Express.  Like it or not, Outlook is pretty much the industry-wide standard.  Also, if you are using Microsoft Word, you will want to take advantage of formatting features in Outlook that are not available in the ACT mail client. 

If you are using Outlook 2007, a new feature is that you can publish your calendar to others showing when you are busy and free.  A really helpful tool, IMHO.

Getting back to your original question, you will sync to Outlook so others can see your schedule if you are using ACT as your baseline for everything.

I know I rambled a little, but I hope this helped a bit.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
PJA
Astute Commentator

What I would like to know is how to sync meetings ONLY between ACT and Outlook. The way it is now you have to sync all activities. Secondarily, ACT mtgs show up as activites in Outlook...this is totally unacceptable! All I want is to sync my calendar, i.e., meetings (so others can see in Outlook) and keep activity management in ACT alone.

Thanks in advance for your help on this question.

Phil Anstett