Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

wasted money

wasted money

Have installed ACT 2008.
Had problems trying to open it, so rang support, who helped me at least get the demo database open.
Imported my CSV into ACT and the clients are there multiple times, one client appears 36 times.
I need to have the client appearing once only in the contact list, with everything else about the client within his or her folder.
Have done a Scan for Duplicates, HA, it shows the first name only. Naturally some of your 2000 client database are going to have the same first name. So how the hell do you scan for duplicates unless you can also see there last name? I actually did continue through and selected two Fred's and once through, told act it could delete the other, it actually deleted the first 14 clients out of the database, and their name was definitely not Fred.
So I rang support again and the guy was trying to help, but obviously didn't know the why or how, then someone in his background spoke and he said I had to pay for support, to check out the knowledge base, told him I had read through the manual that came with ACT and also checked out the help menu,
There is absolutely no reference to my problem of duplicate entries.
Thank you very much, not great support. Apparently they only help with installation issues!!!
I do understand the anger of ihateact now, you would expect with the price of ACT you would get some assistance, other programs still under warranty allow you to call support and GET help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: wasted money

This can depend on how your CSV data is formatted, but you should use (before the import) - Tools | Preferences | Duplicate Checking

This allows you to set up to 3 fields to determine if a record is a duplicate when importing.

Try creating a new database, setting the Dupe Check fields and giving it another go. Let us know if this works for you

I'm running into the same problem. Have ACT 8 on Vista. My biggest concern was importing multiple lists, with some of the lists having the same or duplicate contacts. I tested it first with about 20 contacts. I then took the exact same list, but just left about 5 of the original names on there. When I import (from Excel which is created into a .csv) ACT keeps adding an entirely new contact when the contact is already in the database. Yes, I have checked the Tools - Preferences and even tried to only import the 3 fields that is set to check dupes...It continues to add duplicate contacts. What's the deal?

ACT! 8 doesn't suppoert Vista... or did you mean ACT! 2008?

When you do the import check the Merge Options

Hi, Yes. Sorry I meant ACT10. And yes I checked the merge options. Still won't see them. Is there a known bug?

[ Edited ]
Ditto !!!

I used the trial version first, when I rang support with this problem, they said once I purchased the program they would be able to help me. So silly me, Purchased the product.

I have imported and deleted the database a number of times, each time I have changed my settings.

I don't mind doing a Scan for Duplicates and fixing that way, but as I said it will bring up first names only, it does have Company there, but these are individual clients.

Message Edited by Wasted on 02-24-2008 03:22 PM

Preferences - Tools - - General Duplicate Checking Record Type - Contact Match On - Company then Last then Frist Enable Duplicate checking is checked on Under the Import Wizard Importing .csv file (remember, this is the same file I already imported to create the database so the contacts are already in there) Contact Merge Options Contact Records Action set to "Replace with newest contact" (I've also tried to set this to "merge" too. Weird thing, all the other fields are grayed out i.e. Notes, History, Activities actions...

Yesterday, Monday, I imported the database three times and had to delete it three times, I am just about to have another go.
Last try I set my options for duplicate entries, unfortunately ACT deleted the second addresses ( I have a home address and postal address) and also deleted products if the client had more than one.
I first set up the Design Layout for Home Address's and Postal Address, every field in the database, I tried to set up in the Design Layout first to see if that would work. No.

Wasted wrote:
Ditto !!!

I used the trial version first, when I rang support with this problem, they said once I purchased the program they would be able to help me. So silly me, Purchased the product.

You can always return it within 30-days (I think this may depend on the country).... but I agree they should provide support to trial users. Certainly if you deal with an ACT! Certified Consultant, most will support you for simple issues during the trial.... sometimes, they might not even charge for this