Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

v19 - "The current value is invalid and cannot be added" while creating a new drop-down list

v19 - "The current value is invalid and cannot be added" while creating a new drop-down list

[ Edited ]

While creating a new drop-down list in V19 I get "The current value is invalid and cannot be added". I am trying to enter letters and I have selected the Type to be Character. How do i correct this? i have created other character based drop-down lists without a problem.

thanks

Administrator

Re: v19 - "The current value is invalid and cannot be added" while creating a new drop-down list

Hi mbenwitt

Is this error occurring in the step where you name the drop-down list, or in the steps where you're adding values to the list?
What is the name you're trying to use? There are a number of certain words and phrases that are disallowed in field names and list values to avoid problems with data validation.
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: v19 - "The current value is invalid and cannot be added" while creating a new drop-down list

If this is when you add items to the dropdown list make sure that you are not entering a dropdown item that is longer than the field length. If needed you can increase the field length under Tools - Define fields.

Highlighted

Thanks for your response. It happened when I was trying to add values to the list, but it seems to work now.

When you select multiple items in a list, and if the box is square, then you cannot view all the selections since they layout in a line. I cannot find a word wrap feature, so it seems that the only way to be able to view all selections is to create a long box?

Thanks for your response. I did check field length. It happened when I was trying to add values to the list, but it seems to work now.

When you select multiple items in a list, and if the box is square, then you cannot view all the selections since they layout in a line. I cannot find a word wrap feature, so it seems that the only way to be able to view all selections is to create a long box?
Administrator

Hi mbenwitt,

Yes, if you need to select multiple drop-down list items, the field will need to be a little longer to show the full names of the selections when the drop-down is closed.
There is no word wrapping feature within these kind of fields.

OK, thanks for your help
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

An alternative if not too many items to select is to use a separate tick-box field for each option which is easier for users to view.

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.