Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

v17 where are database names stored?

Master Commentator

v17 where are database names stored?

hi,

in a previous version of act that i had installed (that i uninstalled prior to installing v17), i created a database called test_act. i also deleted this database.

in act 17, i tried to create a new database with the same name, but got a message that a database with this name already existed. i figure that there is some running list of database names that act stores someplace on the hard drive that i am not of.

i searched , but could not find a trace of this database name. i'm hoping someone can tell me where to look , so that i can delete the database names.

thank you

tracy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: v17 where are database names stored?

You didn't delete the test database from the ACT! program it sounds like you detached the database and then deleted the files. This meant that the database wasn't removed from the SQL server. I think you might be able to remove the remnants of the database from SQL using the SQL Server Management Studio.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Master Commentator

hi roy,
i haven't seen an option in act to delete databases. i deleted the databases from my hard drive. i've heard of sql, but don't know anything about it. seems overly complicated to just have act not recognize a file name. thank you
Platinum Elite Contributor

To delete a database in the ACT! program that is done under Tools | Database Maintenance.

The ACT! database is an SQL database which is controlled by the SQL server. The SQL server launches at boot time and opens all connected databases. ACT! connects to a database through the SQL server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

This is one way to do it, but if you're not entirely comfortable with using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, you can also complete the deletion of the database by using Act! Diagnostics through the command prompt. 

1. Open the command prompt

2. Type the following: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Act\Act for Windows

3. Press Enter, then type the following: actdiag /delete test_act

4. Press Enter, then test creating another database called test_act

It should allow you to create the new database of the same name after that. 

Bear in mind, this method of deletion is only recommended for scenarios like yours where the files were deleted manually instead of going through Tools > Database Maintenance > Delete Database.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com