08-14-2008 01:01 PM
08-14-2008 01:13 PM
Do you have a Windows XP machine? Install ACT! 2009 on the XP machine and do the conversion. Then transfer the converted database to the Vista machine.
If you don't have another machine, try turning off UAC and do the conversion again. Error: "Attempted to read or write to protected memory. This is often an indicator that other memory is corrupt" is common in Vista because of the enhanced security.
08-14-2008 05:09 PM
08-14-2008 06:57 PM
08-14-2008 08:08 PM
08-18-2008 10:32 PM
08-19-2008 01:27 AM
In v6 try saving a copy of you database (File > Save Copy As) and try converting that. If that still fails then try saving an empty copy of you v6 database and then import the damaged database into the empty copy and then try to convert that.
The read write protected memory error is often a problem with the v6 data and quite often act 6 actdiag cannot resolve it. By saving an empty copy a new database is created with a new database structure and then the data imported accross. The import intop the empty copy can also highlight any problems with data at that stage.
Also try: Manual reindex of the act 6 database, look in the knowledgebase for article.
The issue you mention with the username and password will 99.9% of the time just be that you are getting the username or password wrong. Open act 6 and try File > Administration > Manage Users and check you username and if there is a password against it.
It would seem if other databases convert ok but this one is an issue that there is some damage to the act 6 data. Do you have a backup that you could restore and convert to test? (Be sure not to overwrite the existing data when you restore the backup).
08-19-2008 05:44 AM
Thanks for your suggestions about the manual reindexing --- I will followup on that.
All along I've been able to save an empty copy of the database and convert it.... can add a few contacts manually then convert it... that is what one of the things that is weird to me.
The username / password was changed on 2 databases during the conversion -- it was changed to username = "converter" (or "convert") and no password --- this happened online with one of the techs --they have a small utility they can use to give them the passwords etc... first time they had seen this I was told.
Backups - yes - have tons of backups and went back 6 months and had the same issues... (This database has notes in it as far back as 1991 --- can I delete some of these very old notes --- yes, but nobody has told me that I should have to because of the number of contacts and overall database size being of a manageable size for ACT...
Last night, on a whim, I tried importing to the empty created database and it's working for now... 2414 contacts out of 4800 and counting... the problem is, I've got to get on the road for a trade show in a few hours and I'll run out of time. But it is encouraging to see that sometimes it craps out early ---and other times it doesn't --- so theres hope.
Thanks for your reply - I'll find out more about the maual reindexing (assuming it's different than the maintenance reindex and compress). Thanks again.
11-26-2008 07:42 AM
Moved tonynash's post to its own thread for greater exposure.