Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

v11 problems - installation (fixed - notes inside) then data conversion problems from v6

v11 problems - installation (fixed - notes inside) then data conversion problems from v6

Thought any one considering upgrading to v11 should be aware of a few issues...

installation - I had tried v10 a few months ago on a Vista machine but decided to wait for 11 when it came out. Uninstalled v10 months ago. Purchased v11 yesterday (the link that was sent to download it was incorrect - then another link provided). Installation saw v6 and said could keep v6 and v11 on the same system - no problem, but then had issues with remnants left in the registry from the v10 trial... It would not complete the installation at all.

There is a download - Act_Uninstaller.EXE that is needed to clean the registry.

This worked and allowed the installation to continue properly. Demo database worked fine but I cannot convert any of my databases. Ran ACTDIAG.exe (v6 on the v6 databases and removed indexes, reopened the files in v6, closed etc..) -- have several error messages that cause ACTv11 to crash and close.

>>>Attempted to read or write to protected memory. This is often an indicator that other memory is corrupt.
or
ACT by SAGE stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is found... crash and close.

I can create a blank database in v6 with just MY RECORD in it and it will be able to be converted by v11 (but have no usuable data).

I can IMPORT a database into v11 but loose important information like email fields etc... (so will have to manually cut and paste missing information from v6 to v11...???).

I tried creating the database with just MY RECORD (in v6) then tried syncronizing database to database to fully populate all the fields, but it cannot be converted by v11 when this is done.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (I have been in touch with support, but they seemed to exhaust all their potentials, and their last suggestion was to import the data to a new database in v6... when I asked about missing fields, they bailed out and said to just see if that worked...).

Any help is appreciated...

Re: v11 problems - installation (fixed - notes inside) then data conversion problems from v6

EJSCC2,

Do you have a Windows XP machine? Install ACT! 2009 on the XP machine and do the conversion. Then transfer the converted database to the Vista machine.

If you don't have another machine, try turning off UAC and do the conversion again. Error: "Attempted to read or write to protected memory. This is often an indicator that other memory is corrupt" is common in Vista because of the enhanced security.

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

Re: v11 problems - installation (fixed - notes inside) then data conversion problems from v6

UAC is off already... I will try it on an XP machine and post the results.. thanks for the suggestion.

Partial success --- when I installed v11 on an XP machine, then attempted to convert a small database (64 contacts with very limited notes and histories) - the first time it failed (the messages was... An exception occurred changing the schema. Your previous ACT! database cannot be converted. See the Start Here guide for more information.
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.)... tried it again and it finished the conversion process properly... so that was good.... but I burned the files to a CD and cannot get them to open -- I'm getting an error regarding the username and password (could not authenticate user. Verify teh name and password and try again)...

Could it be that I did not copy/move the files properly?

The larger database with 4400 contacts and quite a bit of history and notes failed because of recurring activities without a date error... will work with it some and update the thread.

bottom line - there DOES seem to be some issues with Vista and the data conversion process, but there also seem to be some workarounds... and more will become apparent as more users go through this process.

Thanks for the suggestion to try on XP.

I've not been successful on converting the bigger database with the recurring activity with no date errror... how can I track this down? I run v6 ACTDIAG - everything clean, removed the indexes, and am not sure what to try next....

Thanks in advance -- support is closed tonight and I've got tons iof work to do to get ready for tomorrow...

There are KB articles about how to resolve this issue with zero-frequency Recurring Activities in newer versions of ACTDIAG, but nothing for v6...

as it ended up, on my third tech support session, I was told Vista is not able to do the conversions from v6 and the MUST be done on an XP machine. I had already converted all of the data except for my main database which is 4800 contacts and notes going back as far as 12 years in some cases... (back with ACT was Automated Contact Technology...). Database size (in v6) is 12 MB.

ACTDiag v6 can find no issues with the database, but it crashes during conversion. We turned the timeout up to 1000, but no changes. Ended up recommending I have my database converted by an outside source... I say this is BS and it's because the conversion process is simply not working properly.

I can take the database in question, and save a blank database and convert it to v11...

Any suggestions are very appreciated at this time because I've spent to many hours making the conversion on the XP machine, backing it up, then restoring the data to the Vista machine. This certainly is not the process that Steve B. described when I ordered the update. I was very clear about my needs - I've been watching the updates for the last several years, and as mentioned many times in other posts, seemed to think that many of them were a step backward in speed, etc.

I was hoping this would be the great fix. (grin). Thanks in advance.
Copper Contributor

In v6 try saving a copy of you database (File > Save Copy As) and try converting that. If that still fails then try saving an empty copy of you v6 database and then import the damaged database into the empty copy and then try to convert that.

The read write protected memory error is often a problem with the v6 data and quite often act 6 actdiag cannot resolve it. By saving an empty copy a new database is created with a new database structure and then the data imported accross. The import intop the empty copy can also highlight any problems with data at that stage.

Also try: Manual reindex of the act 6 database, look in the knowledgebase for article.

The issue you mention with the username and password will 99.9% of the time just be that you are getting the username or password wrong. Open act 6 and try File > Administration > Manage Users and check you username and if there is a password against it.

It would seem if other databases convert ok but this one is an issue that there is some damage to the act 6 data. Do you have a backup that you could restore and convert to test? (Be sure not to overwrite the existing data when you restore the backup).

Thanks for your suggestions about the manual reindexing --- I will followup on that.

All along I've been able to save an empty copy of the database and convert it.... can add a few contacts manually then convert it... that is what one of the things that is weird to me.

The username / password was changed on 2 databases during the conversion -- it was changed to username = "converter" (or "convert") and no password --- this happened online with one of the techs --they have a small utility they can use to give them the passwords etc... first time they had seen this I was told.

Backups - yes - have tons of backups and went back 6 months and had the same issues... (This database has notes in it as far back as 1991 --- can I delete some of these very old notes --- yes, but nobody has told me that I should have to because of the number of contacts and overall database size being of a manageable size for ACT...

Last night, on a whim, I tried importing to the empty created database and it's working for now... 2414 contacts out of 4800 and counting... the problem is, I've got to get on the road for a trade show in a few hours and I'll run out of time.  But it is encouraging to see that sometimes it craps out early ---and other times it doesn't --- so theres hope.

Thanks for your reply - I'll find out more about the maual reindexing (assuming it's different than the maintenance reindex and compress).  Thanks again.

Moved tonynash's post to its own thread for greater exposure.