Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

using a database in Act! by Sage 2009

using a database in Act! by Sage 2009

I have been using Act! 2006 premium for workgroups and upgraded to Act! 2009, which is a non-premium product. I saved the database as non-premier, and it worked fine on a desktop, but I can't seem to work when loaded onto my laptop. I get this message: "the ____ database coulld not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server. " I disabled the firewall and still same result. Any ideas?
fred 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: using a database in Act! by Sage 2009

There could be more than one reason for this error.  The most common ones are:

- Invalid or damaged .pad file

- SQL Server not running

- If accessing a database that is shared from another machine, then may be a permission, network, or firewall issue

When you "loaded" the database on the laptop, did you copy the database from one another machine to the laptop?  If this is the case and you copied the .pad file when you did this, then that file contains invalid information as it points to the database on the other machine.  So you need to delete that .pad file and then open the database using .adf file (change the File Type in the Open Database dialog box from .pad to .adf) to create an updated .pad file.

Please see the following Knowledgebase article for information on the causes and solutions for this issue:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network co...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.