Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

upgrade/update question

upgrade/update question

oi~ we are using ACT! version 6.0.. i just purchased ACT! version 9.0 and i was wondering if i can upgrade pc per pc.. meaning when i update 1 pc how will it handle the database ? or is the database format the same on these 2 versions ? thanks in advance.
--
later,
rudeboy.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: upgrade/update question

the new version is sql based, you will need to upgrade every machine if you want them to be able to open the db.  The first machine you open the act 6 db on with 9 will prompt you to update it.

Tom

and thus when i do one and update the database the other work stations will no longer be able to read the database ? thanks.
--
later,
rudeboy.
Nickel Super Contributor

they will be able to open the act6 db but not the act 9 copy so they will essentially be working on 2 seperate databases

tom

TDavis wrote:
they will be able to open the act6 db but not the act 9 copy so they will essentially be working on 2 seperate databases
tom

aha.... so i could transfer per pc, it will only mess things up if somebody who's still on v6 would add a contact.
--
later,
rudeboy.
Nickel Super Contributor

No sorry - I should have explained that better - only the people on the new version would be able to open the db.  What I meant was when you convert a 6 db to 9 it creates a completely new copy of the database.  Long and short of it is its all or nothing.

Tom

thanks again.... well i went for it all but no good, first it couldn't convert because i wanted the destination database on our domain server, so then i opted to create the copy of the database on the local pc.. seems to go okay until i got 2 errors. http://www.fixturenetwork.com/Clipboard01.jpg and http://www.fixturenetwork.com/Clipboard02.jpg any advise ?
--
later,
rudeboy.
Nickel Super Contributor

The first one means you have data in your act 6 db which is associated with unknown users in the db ie. a user has been deleted but some data hasn;t been reassigned.  The second is because it is trying to open the new converted db but the conversion had failed so there is no db to open.

Unfotunately there is no easy fix for the first error without spending money.  You can try running actdiag (start -> run -> actdiag  (if you have installed a newer version of act on the machine you will need to browse to c:\program files\act\actdiag.exe or it will run the new version)) and running a check and repair on the db (keep running it untill no more red ticks come up) otherwise you will either need to buy something like RedFlags from Cornerstone Solutions or pay someone like us to reapir the db using our tools in house and convert it for you. 

Actually saying that it might be worth trying to save an empty copy, recreate the users in the copy and run a db to db sync, this can correct the error if you;re lucky.

Tom

thanks Tom... took me about 4 hours and 3 ACT! tech support people, but it's solved. yes there were 22 records not assigned but the real issue was with "history" & "notes", which at first the tech had me delete anything older then 60 days, he promised no error but he was wrong, then i deleted all notes older then 0 days and i was able to convert the database and save about 375 dollars for database recovery. pfew.... thanks again.
--
later,
rudeboy.

and then i had a new issue... i was told i can just copy the database directory to our domain server, did that.. no dice. so i called ACT! again and i was told; - copy database directory to the domain server (w2000 server) - install ACT! v9.0 on server - open database (on domain server) and make sure it is shared - copy *.pad to workstation - open the *.pad with ACT! on that workstation and it should work.... and it didn't, error message is make sure you are connected to the server, which i am.. and disable firewall which i did.
--
later,
rudeboy.