Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

updating multiple contacts at one time.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

updating multiple contacts at one time.

I would like to create a custom field and update 100-125 contacts at one time from list view. I would like to update the enire lookup at once, but I do not want to use the history function. I simply want to put a date in, that i can use later to sort by.

I send different mail pieces to my prospects and I want to record when I send each piece, so that I can do a lookup and sort based on mailing dates and create a new mailing.

I have aksed this before but am hoping rephrasing the question will prompt an answer.

I can not believe that such a simple task is impossible

ACT V17

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author judd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: updating multiple contacts at one time.

What's not clear is exactly what you want to accomplish. As to simply adding a field and writing to that field in a lookup, that can be done using Edit | Replace Field. However it sounds like you want to send more than one mail piece to each contact in the lookup and to be able to track each mail piece separately. In that case you would either need to add a separate field to the database for each different mail piece (bad) or add a custom table using Topline Designer or the Durkin Impact Suite to track the mailing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author judd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

What's not clear is exactly what you want to accomplish. As to simply adding a field and writing to that field in a lookup, that can be done using Edit | Replace Field. However it sounds like you want to send more than one mail piece to each contact in the lookup and to be able to track each mail piece separately. In that case you would either need to add a separate field to the database for each different mail piece (bad) or add a custom table using Topline Designer or the Durkin Impact Suite to track the mailing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Sorry let me explain further.

So far I have 1800 contacts and that list will grow to around 10,000  over time.

I started off by mailing 100 or so mailings each week. I have 4 custom fields (user 1-10) that I have labeled, brands, revenue, channel type and employee size. My primary concern is the brand field.

Anyhow I perform a lookup based on brand (brand contains xx). I then sort by revenue, pick the first 100 or so contacts, and look them up so I only have those 100 in my list view. I then do a mail merge.

After the first mailing my first step is now  to sort the list view by letter date and remove those that received the letter. So every week I have a 100 or so that have a letter date of 10/1/2014, then another hundred 10/8/2014, another hundred 10/15/2014 and so on.

Everybody that received a letter is removed from the lookup, and I sort the remaining based on brand and revenue, select a hundred or so and look them up so they are only ones remaining and perform a mailing.

I now would like to add a second letter, a follow up letter. And maybe a third or fourth letter.

I obviously can find who i mailed the original letter to based on the letter date that was created during the first mailing. I then can look them up and isolate them and send a second letter. I do not want to overwrite the original letter date. If I did that I would loose track of who received which letter. As I am still adding prospects each week, various contacts need to get the the first letter, second letter, third letter etc

So after typing all this I reread your post and it seems very easy. Change user 5 field to letter 2, user 6 to letter 3, and so on. I already tested this on a small lookup of 5 contacts and it does exactly what I want.

Why would this be bad? I am not attaching the actual mailing, just recording the date I mailed each piece

Thank you for your help

The problem with your method is that you are describing a one-to-many situration that you are trying to solve in a flat file manner. What happens if you want to do a different campaign to some of the sme contacts and you want to preserve the old information?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

forgive me as I am printer tech, not a databse guy.

I am thinking of just converting the user fields to letter2,letter3,letter4,letter5, etc. By doing this I would retain the previous mailing dates.

I took a quick look at topline designer and am having a hard time grasping how it would help me.

I should also mention I am on an extremely tight budget and yes even $100 for any add on software would be tough.

Thank you for your help

Given the constraints you listed, the solution you proposed, while undesirable long term, is the best for you at this time. 

Topline designer does have a learning curve and, if you don't have a basic understanding of relational databases, it could be a significant learning curve, In your case the ideal would be to have an ACT! Certified Consultant design and setup the custom table for your database. However with your budget constraints, that wouldn't be an option.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129