Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

updates

updates

I'm trying to run new updates but i get an error message that says I'm not the system Administrator???
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: updates

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

What operating system?

If using Windows Vista, you might need to turn off UAC

What is UAC, and how do you turn it off?

Yes, I see this is 2 years old, but it is the only topic that had my same problem when I did a search.

Thanks

Do a Google search for UAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont see an issue with spending 2 mins to tell you right here.

UAC is User Account Control. Its use in Vista was such that it would stop a lot of programs from installing correctly. To turn it on or off (recommended), go to Start > Control Panel > Users > Turn UAC On or Off > Turn it Offf > Restart your PC.

[Edit: Comment removed. Please post courteously]

There is a benefit in point users to resources like the knowledge base and Google... while it might take the user an extra couple of minutes to do the search, it empowers them to find the answers themselves in the future
Copper Contributor

I dont disagree, but i do find that you could also include the answer along with the suggestions, giving them the solution and the benefit of finding more information.

[ Edited ]

Hello Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,

User Account Control (UAC) in Vista and Windows 7 is designed to protect your system files and registry from attacks while you are logged in as an administrator...kind of like the Secret Service is to the President. This however, can prevent legitimate updates by programs such as ACT!. For instructions to temporarily disable UAC for the purpose of updating, please see KB Article 20220 (Vista) or KB Article 25665 (Windows 7).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the information.  I turned it off and was able to download the update. 

I did a search, with the handy lil "search" feature right up there, and this was the only topic that came up with it, thus, I asked.  I do appreciate the search feature being used and HATE repetitive questions myself on forums.

Thanks again.