Search instead for 
Do you mean 

unsearchable first name Don and Dona in database

Accepted Solution Solved
BUD
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

unsearchable first name Don and Dona in database

The first name Don is unsearchable in my database (ACT 10.0).  I know he is in there, but when I search for the first name Don I get Donald and Donna, but no Don.  Then when I search by Don's last name, the search works properly.  Also, when I search for first name Dona, the search will not find that person, but if I search by Dona's last name, the search works properly. This seems really weird to me.  Can anyone help with this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author BUD
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
BUD
Copper Contributor

Re: unsearchable first name Don and Dona in database

Wow, there should be a star or something next to you name!  I cleared the name prefixes, reparsed and BAM, it works right.  Thanks for your EXPERT assistance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Astute Commentator

Usually, I find that the problem is that when you input the name "Don", ACT! usually finishes with the last version of that name, ie "Dona" "Donna" "Donald" . Frequently the print is so small that you don't notice that there were additional characters on the "don" that you put in.

After you put in "Don" hit delete a few times to make sure that "Don" is all that ACT! is looking for.

(Same thig used to happen to me on "Pat" after looking for "Patrick" Patricia" "Patty", etc, until I saw what was happening!)

Hope it was that easy!

Take care!

Pat Lekawa

BUD
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your response, but the problem is isolated to the first names Don and Dona.  It never happens with any other first name searchs.  The problem remains no matter how careful I am to clear any auto fill in the search field prior to executing the search, but it only happens on the first names Don and Dona.

Make sure there is no space character at the front or back of the first name.  Usually caused by fat-fingering when entering the name.  I have had clients going crazy in various systems, swearing they just entered a name but they can't find it in a search!  This is the first thing I check forwhen having that type of an issue.

Gary

Platinum Elite Contributor

Don and Dona are classed by ACT! as first name prefixes. You would need to remove them from the list of prefixes (Tools | Preferences | General | Name Preferences) and then re-parse the names.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
BUD
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but no fat fingering here, no blanks, etc. Still looking for a fix.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BUD
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
BUD
Copper Contributor

Wow, there should be a star or something next to you name!  I cleared the name prefixes, reparsed and BAM, it works right.  Thanks for your EXPERT assistance.