Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

trouble getting database to open

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

trouble getting database to open

Ok, I have ACT 2009 (bought it Oct 08 so no support from them).  4 months ago I reformatted my HD and reinstalled ACT.  Could not find my serial number so I used the demo for 30 and in the meantime got my seriel number.  Today I entered that number and now this happens:

"The database "xxxxx" could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be neccesary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

So, ok then, i try to "restore" it from my backup copy and I get this:

"The backup of this database can only be restored on the machine that was used to create it.  Use the Restore As option to restore the database on this machine."

FIrst off, this IS the same machine I created it on, but ok, I will try the Restore As option and i get this:

Well, I get a page full of crap it looks like to me.  First a window pops up saying its restoring with the progress bar not moving at all.  LAst about 20 seconds then a window pops up saying something about SQL server no found along with a whole lot of other information that means nothing to me.

Any help here?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author broddam
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: trouble getting database to open

Here is a KB article for the error accessing the database. There are many causes for this. 

Post the error you get when restoring the database. The specific text does have meaning and will help elucidate the problem.  

Copper Contributor

Thx for the reply but either you forgot to post th elink to article or i am blind, lol.  I will see how I can get the error message posted.  Its not somethign I can copy and paste, but I am working on it now. 
Bronze Elite Contributor

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Highlight the error just by clicking on it and use the keyboard command Ctrl-C. Use paste with Ctrl-V. 

Copper Contributor

benjamin, your the man!  checking out the link while you or someone checks out this error.  Remember, I only get this error when trying to "Restore As".  the errors I listed above exact as shown per the situation.

---------------------------
ACT! by Sage
Act.Data.DatabaseAccessException: The SQL Database Service is not started. ---> Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbConnection.Open()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbConnection.Open()

at Act.Data.CommandProcessor.GetActiveConnection(String connectionString)

at Act.Data.CommandProcessor.Execute(Command command, IDataReader& dataReader)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Act.Data.CommandProcessor.Execute(Command command, IDataReader& dataReader)

at Act.Framework.Security.SessionManager.GetActAccessPassword(String host, ProviderType provider)

at Act.Framework.ActDatabase.ActDatabaseManager.ClassicRestoreDatabaseAs(String databaseName, String databaseHost, String databaseType, String newTargetFolder, String userLogOn, String userPassword, String zipFile, String zipPassword, ProgressEventHandler progressHandler, Boolean shareDatabase)

at Act.Framework.ActDatabase.ActDatabaseManager.RestoreDatabaseAs(String databaseName, String databaseHost, String databaseType, String newTargetFolder, String userLogOn, String userPassword, String zipFile, String zipPassword, SupplementalFileManager sfMgr, ProgressEventHandler progressHandler, Boolean shareDatabase)

at Act.Framework.ActFramework.RestoreDatabaseAs(String databaseName, String databaseHost, String databaseType, String newTargetFolder, String userLogOn, String userPassword, String zipFile, String zipPassword, ProgressEventHandler progressHandler, Boolean shareDatabase)

at Act.UI.MaintenanceManager.RestoreDatabaseAsTask.DoTask()
OK  

Solution
Accepted by topic author broddam
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

SQL was the problem, both browser an Act7 were on automatic to start but only the browser has started.  The Act7, I had to manually start.  Hopefully this was a one time problem.  Thank you sir!