Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

transfering ACT! - cannot see .adf or .alf files inside my database folder

Tuned Listener

transfering ACT! - cannot see .adf or .alf files inside my database folder

I have been struggling with transfering ACT! from one PC to another for over a month.  I have gone through numerous attempts and forum reading, to no avail.  Now I am trying to view the individual files inside the database folder, but it appears empty.  I have tried saving different versions in various ways and re-names.  The folder contains the Suplementals, but not the more important .alf or ,adf files.  I have tried every possible Permission or Security setting that I can find.  I have gone into Control Panel, Folder Options and checked Show Hidden Files, Folders, Drives.  How do I see into the folder?  Why does ACT! block the view?  ACT! 2010 on Win 7 (32) to ACT! 2010 on Win 7 (64).

Silver Super Contributor

Re: transfering ACT! - cannot see .adf or .alf files inside my database folder

The easiest way to transfer ACT! is to do an ACT! backup (File | Backup) on the first machine and do a restore as on the second machine.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: transferring ACT! - cannot see .adf or .alf files inside my database folder

Stan is correct. Backup and restore as is the very best way of doing this. You cannot copy the active SQL files while they are running  and this is why you are getting the problems when you just try and move them.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Chip and Wellmet,  Thanks for trying.   I spent weeks trying to do that and the new machine just cannot properly open the database.  I I have tried so many paths, I don't even remember most of the details.  I thought this KB: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23392 might give me an alternative that works.  I truly need a bulletproof way to do this, and the standard BACKUP, RESTORE AS just won't do the job.

(edited to update kb link)

Tuned Listener

To continue... I just went back and made a new BACKUP on the old PC.  I transferred it to the new PC.  Via ACT!, I tried to do a RESTORE AS and can see the .zip file in the directory.  However, when I try to OPEN it, nothing happens.  When I try to "see inside" the folder, it appears empty. I just cannot seem to complete the process.  Same dance for the last month.

Tuned Listener

And to continue further...  I managed to Extract the .zip file when asked, and then continue the RESTORE AS, and rename the DB in the process.  I get a message that it was successful.  However, when I go to actually OPEN the DB, the folders seem empty.  Nothing is available.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Can you find the .PAD File?

Just take a look under your documents, ACT folder. There will be 2 ACT folders, look in both for database folder.

Tuned Listener

Yes.  On the last non-open, it created the .pad file.  On the subsequent try, I happened to point to the .pad and it opened.  Too bad it isn't obvious and one has to stumble upon these things.  Thank you for the help.

Silver Super Contributor

They made it a little easier to find and open the database in later versions of ACT!.  The version you are using is about 4 versions back.  Granted they could have made it easier to find the database back then too.  :-)

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!