Do you mean 

system error 5 (access is denied)

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

system error 5 (access is denied)

[ Edited ]

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

I had to change permissions on various folders on the server that houses the central ACT database and have apparently changed things so that ACT can  no longer access the database. When I try to open the database I get this error:

FCB:: Open failed: Could not open file D:\My Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\HCG_Primary_2011C.ADF for file number 0. OS error: 5(Access is denied.).

Assuming that this is a premissions issue, I uninstalled ACT and SQL Server and then reinstalled both, figuring that the installer would set the correct privileges, however, there is no change.

I've run ACTDIAG and tried to attach the database but the attach fails with the same error shown above.

I've run ACTDIAG and selected "Check SQL Server Permissions, which produces the following:

• L Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\
  • Successfully created Test File...
  • Successfully deleted the Test File...
  • Successfully created the Test Folder...
  • Successfully created Test File in new Test Folder...
  • Successfully deleted the Test File in new Test Folder...
  • Successfully deleted the Test Folder...

I appreciate any suggestions to make the database accessible again.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author shelmers
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: system error 5 (access is denied)

I think I've solved my own problem. Despite the assurances above that SQL server can access the folder, I had to add the user SYSTEM to the ACT folder hierarchy in order to be able to access the database.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author shelmers
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I think I've solved my own problem. Despite the assurances above that SQL server can access the folder, I had to add the user SYSTEM to the ACT folder hierarchy in order to be able to access the database.

Bronze Super Contributor

What I always do is create Everyone with Full Control for the folders.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

I have the same issue. I had wiped my hard drive and started over. Installed the sql server, added the act instance and I cannot get past the error 5 message. I am running as the "Admin".

Any suggestions?

I tried your solution, it didn't work for me. I couldnt add SYSTEM to me instance in sql 2008 R2