Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

synchroniation

Sid

synchroniation

I am confused about synchronization.  Is it the rdb file I created on my desk top that is updated automatically and that is the file I should copy and use for synchronization?  I have been trying to use backup and restore and it does not work when tryng to update my remote computer.

Thanks for any help you may provide,

Sid

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: synchroniation

Sid

Thank you for your reply.  So, am I correct that the RDB is like a backup and is updated as I make entries in the program on my computer?  And then I copy the RDB to a thumb drive and use the restore tab on the remote to update it?

Again thank you for your help,

Sid

No, it's not like a backup ... it's a Remote Database.

You restore it once ... then the remote system only uses that copy. Synchronisation happens by directly connecting the two copies. It's cannot happen via a thumb drive
Sid

Please excuse me but I am new at this.  So the RDB is a copy of what is on my parent computer, correct?   I understood that  I could use the RDB to update the remote computer and vise versa.  What you are saying is I can only do it once?  I wish there was better instructions with the program as I am left confused with what I have read.  You are much more familiar with the program than I, could you go into more details?  

It is time here to go to bed.  I will check for your answer tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Sid

The RBD creates the remote database ... it then uses sync (not sending backups of RDBs) to update

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15192

Sid

Good Morning to you,

Ok, so I do have the remote set up to sync as it ask me everytime I open the program.  You must think I am thick headed but give me a little step by step how to proceed from there.  Am I suppose to take a backup from the parent and go to the remote? I havedone this and  I get 3 choices in how to restore.   Take me from there, which do I use?

Thanks,

Sid

No, you do not take a backup and go to the remote.

You sync from the remote ... under the Tools Menu
Sid

If I understand your message the two computers have to be connect to sync.  This is not possible.  As one computer will be in Florida most of the year and the other in New York.  There has got to be another way to transfer the data.

Sid

Yes, they have to connect to sync ... but this can be done over the internet, as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23333