Search instead for 
Do you mean 

sync local database to the server

mla

sync local database to the server

Hi,
I test Act 10.
1. Converted from 6.
2. Made it work from xp pro to 2003 server.

Now I need to make it work in the scenario where a roaming user works out of office on the laptop and sync the database when in the office.
We using this with Act 6.
I cannot find the way to sync local pc with server database. It was easy with ACT 6. File-- Sync- Destination Database...

I configured Sync with 10 but instead of synching server database it created "remote" database in separate folder.
How to make it work?

Thanks,
Michael.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: sync local database to the server

You need to take the rdb file created to the laptop and click File -> Restore -> Database -> Unpack and restore remote database.

Sync is a broad topic, check out the act documention on the cd for step by step instuctions for setting up and configuring sync.

Tom
mla

In Act 6 I was not need to read Documentation to make Sync. It was simple and logical. Smiley Happy
In my case I don't have time to study Act.

If you know just answer my trivial question. I cannot understand why local database (on a laptop) should create some Remote database.
Too complex for me : )     (I am MCSE and CNA for many years)
I am sure there is some sense in all this...

All what I need to sync a copy of server based database with one laptop Act installation.

Tell me please where is my mistake. As with Act 6 I copied the Database from the server and now trying to sync changes on both.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you say:
> You need to take the rdb file created to the laptop and click File -> Restore -> Database -> Unpack and restore remote database.

Cannot understand. When I followed sync wizard from the laptop it created Remote Database on server in separate directory, instead of just pointing to  Server database... Now you say I have to take rdb file unpack and restore remote database. Funny..
I didn't get that...

What is the simplest way to sync local database to shared on server database?
Nickel Super Contributor

Your mistake I explained.... you need to create a remote database not just copy the database over and restore it to the machine you want to use away from the office.  Sync in 6 was not simple and logical - maybe for a single user but I have made a good living out of rapairing sync that went wrong in a corporate environment.  To create a remote database follow the steps in the sync pannel on the server.  If you need step by step help as I said before check the act documentaion - there is no point me wrinting pages of instructions when someone else already has.

Tom
Platinum Elite Contributor

mla wrote:
In Act 6 I was not need to read Documentation to make Sync. It was simple and logical. Smiley Happy
In my case I don't have time to study Act.

If you know just answer my trivial question. I cannot understand why local database (on a laptop) should create some Remote database.
Too complex for me : )     (I am MCSE and CNA for many years)
I am sure there is some sense in all this...

All what I need to sync a copy of server based database with one laptop Act installation.

Tell me please where is my mistake. As with Act 6 I copied the Database from the server and now trying to sync changes on both.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just making a copy of an ACT! 6 database for sync can easily cause data loss. You're lucky if that worked for you. ACT! (any version) needs a distinct DatabaseID for each sync version.

To sync with ACT! 10, have a read of this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/275v7r

I find it was quite simple to run a copy database and sync but it doesnt always work the way you expect it to, just follow the 1.2.3 steps in the "tools... sync panel" menu the basic steps are :

1. create an RDB file on the server
2. on the laptop unpack the RDB to a local directory
3. open this local databse you unpacked
4. sync it with the server that made the RDB file

I'm sure theres a lot more to it than that but thats what i have seen so far and i have got mine to sync, i just dont like the way it works now Smiley Happy