Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

suggestions on ACT/Outlook pop3 vs Imap & organization of e-mails

Astute Commentator

suggestions on ACT/Outlook pop3 vs Imap & organization of e-mails

I am a long time ACT user and currently use Outlook & have been using handheld contact with a Blackberry for at least 4 years now. I have my computer at work with outlook on there and it pulls my e-mails from a pop3 account. My e-mail host does not like it when I leave the e-mails on the server so I delete them right away from the server. With  the blackberry they are forwarded to the blackberry account and then picked off by the blackberry.

I finally got  tired of the crappy UI especially for internet and media on the BB so I broke down and got an android device. Unfortunately I am locked into T-Moble and have more than just a small issue changing carriers. Otherwise I probably would have bought an i-phone given the fact that handheld contact supports i-phone,  Just this week Handheld contact released a beta version for android so I am going to give it a go.

My issue is that when I am away from my desk and I am replying to e-mails etc and I get back to my desk, outlook has all these e-mails that I have to go through and delete or sort away or what ever. Furthermore my reply's do not show up in outlook unless I BCC myself so that is what I have been doing. The problem is it creates a lot of work when I get back to my office in Outlook.

I was reading about IMAP vs pop3 vs Gmail and I got to thinking. There has to be a better way to do this. How do you all do it? Who has found a way to make this work well and how do you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Alan

Bronze Contributor

Re: suggestions on ACT/Outlook pop3 vs Imap & organization of e-mails

Hi epalarnb -

Managing data is a daunting task today, especially using a BB.  Here's what I do regarding ACT and eMail.

First, I don't sync anything.  About once a month I delete all my contacts in Outlook and then import the contacts from ACT.  (I have a field that has the word "Outlook" in it.)

Second, I hve set up eMail to be iMAP instead of Pop3 for my Gmail and Charter account.  My company uses Exchange, so I also have that.

Third, I added an add-on program called eMailConnectPro.  That does a great job of managing the inbox, outbox, and deleted eMails in Outlook.

I make no effort to manage ACT and eMail from the BB.

Just a couple of thoughs to consider.  Have a great weekend.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013