Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

security certificate bad?

Nickel Super Contributor
Posts: 423
Country: Germany

Re: security certificate bad?

My own PC just became flooded with the certificate warning as well. More than 15 hidden windows.

Here are the pictures:

 

cert1.jpg

 

cert2.jpg

 

Even worse:

A customer of mine running an investment banking-like consultancy with VERY strict security recs called me 5 mins ago and is VERY CONCERNED as their machines become flooded as well.

 

SPI, step in and clarify this IMMEDIATELY!!!

 

DO NOT just renew the certificate (if you are able to); I need all the gruesome details about what is going on here.

 

GoDaddy has a VERY BAD REPUTATION in Germany for hosting mostly dubious web activities.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Copper Contributor
Posts: 16
Country: USA

Re: security certificate bad?


will@bluebirdsam.com wrote:

ts_ryan that does sound very feasible. Could it be that affected users are behind a strict firewall regime which prevents 'something' within Act! reaching radar.cedexis/GoDaddy whatever, and picking up the updated renewal date?

 

Certainly, in the case of our affected clients, we know them to have strict firewalls.


They are definitely behind a firewall with content filtering, etc. but nothing that I think would prevent Act! from getting the updated cert but allow Internet Explorer to get it. If it were blocked, I think it would be blocked for any application.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 84
Country: USA

Re: security certificate bad?


will@bluebirdsam.com wrote:

ts_ryan that does sound very feasible. Could it be that affected users are behind a strict firewall regime which prevents 'something' within Act! reaching radar.cedexis/GoDaddy whatever, and picking up the updated renewal date?

 

Certainly, in the case of our affected clients, we know them to have strict firewalls.


I don't have a strict firewall, so that's not it.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 16
Country: USA

Re: security certificate bad?

[ Edited ]

I believe clearing the SSL State in Internet Explorer resolves the issue. Close Act!, open IE and go to Internet Options>Content tab>Clear SSL State button. Open Act! I no longer the certificate expiration warning (probably because it pulled the 8/25/2019 one now). Going to go try this on other computers.

 

This obviously still doesn't explain why Act! is accessing https://radar.cedexis.com.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 16
Country: USA

Re: security certificate bad?


@ts_ryan wrote:

I believe clearing the SSL State in Internet Explorer resolves the issue. Close Act!, open IE and go to Internet Options>Content tab>Clear SSL State button. Open Act! I no longer the certificate expiration warning (probably because it pulled the 8/25/2019 one now). Going to go try this on other computers.

 

This obviously still doesn't explain why Act! is accessing https://radar.cedexis.com.


I confirmed that Clearing the SSL State in Internet Explorer fixes the issue. I did it on our Act! server and 3 PCs so far. I'm assuming this will also resolve itself as that state must automatically clear out at some point.

Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 40
Country: Germany

Re: security certificate bad?

[ Edited ]

will@bluebirdsam.com wrote:

Random guess....Could this be some sort of data gathering / performance monitoring stealth-ware that Swiftpage have built into Act!, but that these errors are being invoked now because the associated certificate has expired today (note the expiry date on the Certificate - 25th August 2017).

 


 

https://radar.cedexis.com apparently is an ad a tracking service, by the looks of things, at least that's why UBlock is blocking it in Firefox. So, yeah, this might be the right direction.

Even more important to find out what this is doing inside the main Act! software, especially for the German market.

Kind Regards,
Thomas
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Consulting and Development for CRM-Software
Administrator
Posts: 4,041
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: security certificate bad?

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

 

It appears that the vendors expired certificate has been replaced with a valid one. 

chrome_2017-08-25_15-58-02.png

 

All I know right now is that this is not a domain that is under our control. Their status report for this incident can be seen here.

I'm following up with the Product and Development teams to get an answer on what the service is used for. For reference, Godaddy are not hosting this website, but are the certificate authority for the SSL certificate.

 

Will post further info as I receive it.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 16
Country: USA

Re: security certificate bad?


@Gary W wrote:

Hi all,

 

It appears that the vendors expired certificate has been replaced with a valid one. 

chrome_2017-08-25_15-58-02.png

 

All I know right now is that this is not a domain that is under our control. Their status report for this incident can be seen here.

I'm following up with the Product and Development teams to get an answer on what the service is used for. For reference, Godaddy are not hosting this website, but are the certificate authority for the SSL certificate.

 

Will post further info as I receive it.


Gary -- Yes, the certificate has been renewed since this morning. However, users are finding that Act! still seems to get the old expired certificate. I found that clearing the SSL State in Internet Explorer (per my instructions above) causes Act! to find the renewed/valid certificate and not show the certificate error.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 84
Country: USA

Re: security certificate bad?


@Gary W wrote:

Hi all,

 

It appears that the vendors expired certificate has been replaced with a valid one. 

 

 

All I know right now is that this is not a domain that is under our control. Their status report for this incident can be seen here.

I'm following up with the Product and Development teams to get an answer on what the service is used for. For reference, Godaddy are not hosting this website, but are the certificate authority for the SSL certificate.

 

Will post further info as I receive it.



Yes, would definitely like to know what that is utilized for!

Administrator
Posts: 4,041
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: security certificate bad?

Thanks for posting this information @ts_ryan. I'll pass this information along to the support team for reference.

From the information found in MS KB 290345, the IE SSL certificate cache should be cleared during a PC reboot, but this is a good way to avoid having to reboot if the issue is still affecting you.