Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

sa password error

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

sa password error

I am installing another program that uses SQL 2005.  The program starts intalling during the install it loads SQL 2005 Express, confiures it bu twhen it gets teh teh database verifying I get :

The SA password must meet SQL Server Password Policy requiremetns....  I am using Windows XP Pro.  I went to Administrative tools - all teh way to the polcy entry and disable that it must meet teh Server Password Policy.  I stll get teh error tried several things.  At this point i was thinking to remove SQL 2005 and let it re-install with the program.  However when I do to do this

CONQUER
The following components are installed on this server

ACT7
Database Engine
[Version: 9.3.4035.00   Edition: Express Edition   Patch level: 9.3.4053   Language: English (United States)]

Common components
Workstation Components
[Version: 9.2.3042.00   Edition: Express Edition   Patch level: 9.2.3042   Language: English (United States)]

I must  choose the Act 7 Database Engine  or the workstation or both. If not it won't uninstall SQL.  I have Act Version 12.  Will it  hurt Act if I remove teh SQL but let it restore back with the other program Advance Pro.  From the research I haver done this is the last thing I can do.,  To remove SQL.  Will I have to re-install Act Also?  Help!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author computerlady143
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: sa password error

Hello Computerlady143,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Information about SQL 2005: It is designed to allow multiple applications to use it by giving them their own 'instance'.  Think of an 'instance' as each application's slice of the pie (very simplified, but easy to imagine a pie cut into pieces).  ACT!'s instance is the 'ACT7' that you are seeing and no other applications should be accessing it.  The 'other' application you are installing should be creating it's own instance.  If you remove the ACT7 instance, you will not be able to access your database.  The 'other' application will not recreate the ACT7 instance when it is installed, it would create it's own instance that ACT! will not recognize.

I recommend that you contact the 'other' programs support or knownledgebase and see if they have instructions for manually creating that programs SQL instance.  Then after that is created, you would attempt to install the program.

If you decide to remove SQL in it's entirety, install the other program first and then install ACT! (so it can create the ACT7 instance without being affected by the other program).

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author computerlady143
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello Computerlady143,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Information about SQL 2005: It is designed to allow multiple applications to use it by giving them their own 'instance'.  Think of an 'instance' as each application's slice of the pie (very simplified, but easy to imagine a pie cut into pieces).  ACT!'s instance is the 'ACT7' that you are seeing and no other applications should be accessing it.  The 'other' application you are installing should be creating it's own instance.  If you remove the ACT7 instance, you will not be able to access your database.  The 'other' application will not recreate the ACT7 instance when it is installed, it would create it's own instance that ACT! will not recognize.

I recommend that you contact the 'other' programs support or knownledgebase and see if they have instructions for manually creating that programs SQL instance.  Then after that is created, you would attempt to install the program.

If you decide to remove SQL in it's entirety, install the other program first and then install ACT! (so it can create the ACT7 instance without being affected by the other program).

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks I am waiting on them and Kind of figure out what you were saying.  But if I understand you correctly - If I can manually create an instance for the other software first then run the install for that company  it will find the correct instance?  How will it know which one to pick.  I all for this solutions.  If not then I guess I back up my data base remove the SQL and install the other program first then Act!!!

Thanks so much - I almost bald due to this problem.  I am waiting on the other company they are 2 hours behind me.

Thanks,

[ Edited ]

Oh I also found Act answer ID where it tells you how to manually create ACT 7 Instance.  Let you know how it goes. Finally got them on phone we manually created the instance and they gave me the password.  I all set thanks.

Unfortunately I can't really be sure of how the other program is recognizing it's instance.  It should be looking for a specifically named instance (like ACT! looks for 'ACT7').  Having the correctly named instance in place before installing that program should allow it to find it, instead of attempting to access the ACT7 instance.  Their support group should be able to explain how to ensure it locates the correct instance.

Greg Martin
Sage