Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

restoring backup of act 9 from backup, no zip file

restoring backup of act 9 from backup, no zip file

Is there any way to restore the db? I did not do an act backup and only have the backup from an external drive, where I see all the big db related file. Is there a way to piece them back together?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: restoring backup of act 9 from backup, no zip file

The three main components of an ACT! database are:

(database name).ADF - this is your actual database file

(database name).ALF - this is a database log file

(database name)-database files - this is a folder containing supplemental files such as attachments, layouts, merge templates, and report templates

Do you have all three of these for your database?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: restoring backup of act 9 from backup, no zip file

To do a real 'restore', you need a back up file created from within the Act! application.

Barring that, if you have a copy of a database in another place, you potentially could copy it to the desired location (i.e. - off an external drive and on to the system's main drive.)

An act database consists of the ADF file (Act! database file), and ALF of the same name (an Act! database Log flie) and then a supplemental files folder which will be named like <MYActDatabaseName>-database files (this will have numerous sub folders, all of which also must be present).

There may also be a PAD file, but when moving/copying an old database that is not in use, you are best to ignore this one.

If ALL of the components listed above are intact, you should be able to copy them and open the datatbase by telling Act! to open the file - change the file type from PAD to ADF and select the freshly copied database,

Act! will attach and validate the database, and if all is good - it will open.

If you get this far - the very first thing to do is to then create an honest-to-goodness act backup from the File menu, saving the file to a location other than the main drive.