Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

restoring backup database to a new computer

restoring backup database to a new computer

I have Act! Pro ver 17.1.169.0 Hot Fix 3. I need to change computers, so I set up Act! on my new computer and made sure the versions were the same, and they are. However when i try to Move, Restore or Import my database I get a message that the database files were made with an upgraded version of SQLServer.

Sure enough, the Act! on my older computer is using MSSQL 12.ACT7, version 12.1.4100.1, and on my new computer it is using MSSQL10_50.ACT7 version 10.51.2500.0. I have tried to upgrade the SSQServer on my new machine, but Act! wants to use SQL Server 2008, not SQL Server 2014.

How do I get Act! on my new computer to use SQL Server 2014?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: restoring backup database to a new computer

Background - ACT! 17.0 installed SQL 2008 R2 while ACT! 17.1 installed the later version of SQL but updating ACT! 17.0 with the service pack did not install the later version of SQL, only a direct installation of ACT! 17.1 without the presence of an ACT! instance of SQL would result in the installation of the later version of SQL.

I believe what you need to do in uninstall ACT! and SQL 2008 R2 including the ACT! instance and then directly install ACT! 17.1, Then you should be able to do the restore of the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Thanks for your answer, though i have tried that at least three times. I am using an install file called  act-pro-170-us_ca_la.exe dated 12/17/2014. It was the same file I used to install the program on my old machine that is running ACT7 on the SQLServer 2014. Is there an updated install file? If so, where would I find it?

When I run the setup with the exe, I select custom install and it asks if I want to install the SQLServer, I can uncheck it but it says that some features will not be avaialble, so i leave it checked. When I watch the program install it intalls SQLServer 2008. Should I uncheck it, and see if ACT! can find the 2014 SQLServer? Or is there an update I should be running after install?

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Dave Bisbee

Barrett Engineered Pumps

dbisbee@barrettpump.com

6199-232-7867 

Yea! I got it to work. I downloaded the demo file and it installed SQLServer 2014, it wouldn't complete the move of my database, but it did let me "restore as".

Again, thank you for your help.

Dave