Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

restore ACT 2009 (ver 11) database from a crashed hard drive

restore ACT 2009 (ver 11) database from a crashed hard drive

My old XP operating system got corrupted and now will not start. Beyond repair. I have a current ACT database on it and a month old backup. The Restore As feature isn't working as there are error messages. Maybe it's due to the fact the zip file is not copied to the new folder on the fresh install?
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: restore ACT 2009 (ver 11) database from a crashed hard drive

Hello Baschmid,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

You will want the backup file copied to the local hard drive before restoring.  What is the error you are receiving with the Restore As process?

If you have access to the old hard drive files, your database is comprised of 4 pieces:

3 files: 'databasename.ADF', 'databasename.ALF', 'databasename.PAD'

1 folder: 'databasename-Database Files'

If you can recover these pieces, you can copy them to your new computer (don't copy the PAD file) and use the ADF to open your database (In Act! > File > Open Database > changes 'Files of Type' from PAD to ADF).

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: restore ACT 2009 (ver 11) database from a crashed hard drive

I have something similar. A customer of ours had a server crash. He has off site backups, but all he was backing up was the .zip files.

I tried a "restore as" and it says that it does not contain any database information.  Also, when I try to extract the files, everything extracts, except for the .pad file. I have searched the .zip and haven't found any .adf files.

They have Act 2007. I am trying to restore to a different server with the same ACT version.