Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

replace fields in ACT ver 17

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

replace fields in ACT ver 17

Act! Pro Version 17.2.217.0, Hot Fix 2 Database on local machine windows 10 64 bit Computer Toshiba i7 laptop ENQUIRY :- Replace information in a field Question:- Can I look up certain contacts and then replace the information contained therein For example I have a database with 200 contacts in it. I want to look up 45 contacts who are identified in ID/ Status as “newbies”. Then I want to delete the word “newbies” and replace it with another word in ID/ Status called “regular”. Is this possible or are all the 200 contacts changed. Also when I delete the “newbies” does ACT then revert to the 200 contacts or does it still keep the 45 separate so they can be renamed “regular” I do hope this makes sense Kind regards Mifs +61(0)408006538

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by bclark (Nickel Super Contributor)
‎10-10-2018 03:13 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: replace fields in ACT ver 17

The process you want is very simple. First create the lookup of the contacts you want to change. Then go to Edit | Replace field. In the dialog that comes up you first select the field to have the contents changed and than specify the value you want to change the field to. No need to delete the present contents of the field, the new value replaces the present contents. When you click OK you will have two options. change only the current contact or change all contacts in the lookup. thought not required it's never a bad idea to make a safety backup of your database before making a major change.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by bclark (Nickel Super Contributor)
‎10-10-2018 03:13 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

The process you want is very simple. First create the lookup of the contacts you want to change. Then go to Edit | Replace field. In the dialog that comes up you first select the field to have the contents changed and than specify the value you want to change the field to. No need to delete the present contents of the field, the new value replaces the present contents. When you click OK you will have two options. change only the current contact or change all contacts in the lookup. thought not required it's never a bad idea to make a safety backup of your database before making a major change.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted

Roy, i am using ACt Ver 18..2.53.0

In the ID/Status field i have the name of the company and state.  so for example i have BobsBar- FL or BobsBar- TX.   The company has now changed names but i want to keep the state the same.  So now the name is MikesBar- FL and MikesBar- TX.  I have about 500 contact that i need to change.  Is there a way to do this without manually entering (i have all 50 states represented).  So to Clarify, i just want to change the name of the company and leave the "- State" or - FL the same.  thank you.