Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

remote restore stalls

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

remote restore stalls

I have tried several times to create a remote database.  I've done this in the past without problems but this time doesn;t seem to work.

I can create it from my main system, but I can't restore it on the remote system.  The progess gets about 20% of the way and then it stops (just below the "o" in "remote".  I've tried running the restore from Act stated as asdministrator, I deleted and recreated the remote from the master, I've confirmed disc space. 

When I look in the destination folder, I see it has about 10,000 files in it (about 2.4 gb).  The original rdb file was about 5.5 gb. I have waited about 12 hours each time to see if it would complete - but no luck.   It seems to get part way through the load process and stalls.  Is there a log file somewhere so I can see what is stopping it from progressing beyond this point?

I am running Act pro 2011

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kenwiens
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: remote restore stalls

I think this issue was because the database was on an SDXC based drive inserted into the laptop.  This 128gb card has functioned well for all other apps, but perhaps SQL server has a problem with it.  Once I put the database back on a standard drive everything worked as expected.

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

- Make sure the RDB file has been copied to the workstation before attempting the restore.

- If already copied to workstation, copy it again - in case the original copy damaged the file.  Attempt restore.

- Restore it on the host computer?  Successful?  If yes, then copy the restored remote database to the workstation and open it with the ADF.  (Note: do not attempt remote while on host)  To move the restored remoted: KB Article 23392

Once moved, attempt sync.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

In monitoring this more closely, I have realized that 12 hours wasn't long enough.  The restore actually took 20 hours (60,000 files).  Interesting the restored version took up 12.5 gb in space rather than the 5.5 of the original database.

I have just logged on to the database (took about 10+ minutes on the remote vs <3 on the master).  Shut down Act and ran actdiag.  Checked database (OK), reindexed database (ok)

Logged on again to the database - still took 12 minutes.  Not sure what to try next.

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com
Platinum Super Contributor

Where does the difference in size come from - is it the ADF, or the attachments folder?

How is response within the database after it is opened?

How quickly does the demo database open?
Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author kenwiens
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I think this issue was because the database was on an SDXC based drive inserted into the laptop.  This 128gb card has functioned well for all other apps, but perhaps SQL server has a problem with it.  Once I put the database back on a standard drive everything worked as expected.

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com