Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

remote database is using a different ACT! version than the main database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

remote database is using a different ACT! version than the main database

I am using ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3 on both machines and I am getting this error while trying to sync.  I am just starting to try and setup a remote database.  Tney start syncing over the VPN, but then immediately run into this. I could upgrade to hotfix 5 but not sure that will help.  

if anyone could offer some pointers, I would be most grateful!   Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author stevenjwilson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: remote database is using a different ACT! version than the main database

Ok - so as long as when you do the Help/About (not database info) - each are saying the exact same version, build, etc - then that should be fine.

Can you be specific on what is not happening..

Is it you are getting an error when trying to sync?

Is it you cannot restore the remote database?

For syncing to happen in the Act By Sage (non-premium) version, you must have ACT! open on the server, and it set to Accept incoming syncs.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Bronze Contributor

If you go to Help about in the master database and then compare this to the same place on the remote machine you will probably find a difference. They need to be the same

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thanks guys.  I have 8 licenses all running over a LAN, some remote over a VPN.   I dont have any problems with folks accessing the database.   Now I am trying to allow my remote users to have a local copy of the DB and sync it.  

Help, About shows the exact same version.  

Also under Database Information:  both show DB Product Version 9.00.4035.00 - SP3.

I dont see any mismatch in versions......

My server Win Server 2008 and the machine run Win 7 Home Premium.  I could try with an XP client.....  My other users have Win 7 Pro.

Copper Elite Contributor

Your original post stated you were on ACT! 2010 (v12); but your subsequent post stated V9 - the remote users MUST be on the same version as the main database they are syncing with.  If the main database is using ACT! 2010, you need to upgrade all users (remote and local) to be using the same version.

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

I am getting that info from 2 different places.
Help, About: ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3

Help, About, Database Information, scroll of Database Product Version: 9.00.4035.00 - SP3.

I created the remote DB on the server, copied it to different machine. Both the server and the client report the same info above.

Sorry if I am being dense...I have 3 people telling me the same thing I know. We only started using ACT 9 months ago as a group and everything worked fine until we tried to sync. According to one post, even LAN WOULD NOT work if they werent the same version and LAN mode works fine.

Thanks for the pointers....any more?
Solution
Accepted by topic author stevenjwilson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Ok - so as long as when you do the Help/About (not database info) - each are saying the exact same version, build, etc - then that should be fine.

Can you be specific on what is not happening..

Is it you are getting an error when trying to sync?

Is it you cannot restore the remote database?

For syncing to happen in the Act By Sage (non-premium) version, you must have ACT! open on the server, and it set to Accept incoming syncs.

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

nuts...pressed wrong key!

I have that. I am getting the error in the topic title...its telling me the remote and client are using a diff version of ACT. I have the server DB only - otherwise it wont even find the server DB.

But it does find it, it starts to sync, then stops with the subject message

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it...
Copper Elite Contributor

You know - i was getting this as well with a 2010 client...and all users were on the same version (just as you are stating)...I was creating a test remote database and decided I didn't need it, so I didn't look further into why it was happening.  We were going to go through full updates to the most recent build and hotfixes for 2010 (for all users) - just to make sure something wasn't missed.

I wonder if it could have something to do with SQL or schema version.  In the Database Info in the Help/About screen - do the schema versions match?

I'll be working with the client having the same issue early next week and can see what I can find out - unless, someone else provides an answer before that.

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

I noticed the schema version DO NOT match.....