Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

recovering database from good HDD/Bad motherboard

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

recovering database from good HDD/Bad motherboard

Act! Pro Version 17.2.217.0

I had this installed on a laptop and the laptop is failing, bad motherboard. I cant get it to stay running long enough to open Act and create a "move" file. I am sure its a motherboard and not HDD as it has 7 beeps which is a bad processor/board for this Dell model. We did have it running in Safe mode for a day but I was at work and the wife didnt know how to properly copy the database.

If I can get it to run in safe mode will that work?

I have a USB to SATA cable so I can easily access the HHD from my new PC. Is there anyway to point the new install to a folder on the old drive and recover it?

Is it possible to launch ACt from the old HDD and run it to properly copy and move the database? I already installed Act on the new PC.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author judd
‎11-08-2015 03:39 PM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: recovering database from good HDD/Bad motherboard

You will need to install Act! on the new system but you can copy the database off the old hard drive to the new hard drive.  You will find a file named dbname.adf and another named dbname.alf and another named dbname.pad.  In the same folder you will find a folder named dbname-Database Files.  Copy alll of those except dbname.pad to the new system.  Then tell Act! to open the file dbname.adf.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author judd
‎11-08-2015 03:39 PM
Silver Super Contributor

You will need to install Act! on the new system but you can copy the database off the old hard drive to the new hard drive.  You will find a file named dbname.adf and another named dbname.alf and another named dbname.pad.  In the same folder you will find a folder named dbname-Database Files.  Copy alll of those except dbname.pad to the new system.  Then tell Act! to open the file dbname.adf.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

a little late.. Thanks for the help

When I try to copy them over, I get this error

Act error.png

I get this when trying to copy the database folder as well. Specifically when it gets to the dashboards and templates. I tried copying the individual files but that didnt work.

H is my laptop drive I have connected to the desktop. The HDD should be fine, as the issue was a bad motherboard on the laptop...

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Judd,

Have you stopped SQL.  Then try to copy again.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

The copying issue turned out to be some sort of windows issue as it was happening with other non-ACT files. Rebooted the PC, moved the files, and we get to the log in screen

But we can not open it since there seems to be a password.... Actually I knew that, that's why we couldn't move it the traditional way. Now we have to deal with that....