Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

recovering ACT un-backed-up files after PC crash

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

recovering ACT un-backed-up files after PC crash

My hard drive failed today, so I have moved over to my wife's PC temporarily until it's fixed. I have reinstalled ACT 2008 (in trial mode) on it and copied the datafile I need to access from the disabled hard drive. Unfortunately, ACT opened an older file of the same name than I was using...it lacks a lot of the most recent information I had added.

Question: what do I have to do to access and retrieve the most recent, updated data for my files? Are ther additional files on the hard drive I can copy over?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: recovering ACT un-backed-up files after PC crash

You're a GENIUS, Greg. I was able to solve my problems by following Step 1 and then Step 2 without doing it manually. Piece of cake. Thanks very much. I'm back in business!

B.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

The files you will need from the crashed hard drive are:

- 'databasename.ADF'

- 'databasename.ALF'

- 'databasename-database files' folder

After copying these 3 items to the 'other' computer, launch Act! > go to File > Open Database > browse to the location of the copied files.  Change the 'Files of Type' on the browse screen from 'PAD' to 'ADF' > select the ADF file for your database. 

If the database you opened is not the current information, you may have multiple databases on your original computer - search for other ADF files on the crashed hard drive.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks, Greg. You are correct. I did have another, more recent database that I wouldn't have found had you not suggested it. I found it in at ACT 7 folder, though I thought I was working in ACT 8. Hmmmm. 

Now I find more questions arising.

Since I am using this PC temporarily, I'm keeping my "found" database on the desktop. I have copied over the ALD file, no problem, and even backed it up. I also copied over the 'databasename-database files' folder. However, I have not figured out how to copy over the .ALF file. When I try to do that from the explorer window, It's telling me it's in use by another app. But nothing else is open. Hmmm. Perhaps it needs to be converted to ACT 8?

Also, I've been getting a message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Does that have something to do with working with an ACT 7 file, now in 8, perhaps?

Final question...in the database that you helped me recover, I am able to open individual contacts' records. However, when I go to send an email to one of my groups (which it does see), I get the error message #8007007e.  Any thoughts there?

I sense I have several things to fix or maybe one "mistake" is causing them all.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, Greg.

B.

Platinum Super Contributor

That's a plate full of questions... but here we go:

1. Copying the ALF (and ADF) files:  There is an 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service running that allows SQL to lock the database files, you can stop the service and then copy the file(s).  To stop the service:

- click on Windows Start

- if XP > select Run.  If Vista/Win7 use Search box

- enter 'Services.msc' > hit enter

- in services list > locate 'SQL Server (ACT7)' > right click on it and select Stop

- while stopped, you can copy the file(s)

2. This is most likely a damaged Act! Preferences issue.  Here is an article with instructions for rebuilding your Preferences, if this does not resolve it - respond back with the version of Act!, your Operating System, and what function are you attempting when the message is presented.  Article: KB Article 14770

Note: I recommend using the 'Alternate Method - Manually Rebuilding Preferences' instead of the Actdiag step.

3. Emailing error:  I believe you are referring to a 'Retrieving Com Class' error, followed by the 8007007e.  This is generally due to an unregistered dll file.  Here is an article with steps for resolving this issue: KB Article 23311

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

You're a GENIUS, Greg. I was able to solve my problems by following Step 1 and then Step 2 without doing it manually. Piece of cake. Thanks very much. I'm back in business!

B.