Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

recording a series of letters sent?

recording a series of letters sent?

[ Edited ]

I would like to send my contacts a series of letters, every couple of weeks. Every mailing will be different. The first letter will be an intro letter, the second a follow up, etc. Right now I do about a 100 per week and it works great as I can see the "letter sent" date and can lookup by that date and sort, then start calling them.

Now I want to see 1st letter sent, 2nd letter sent, 3rd letter sent date, etc. I imagine I would have to create a new custom field which I have done for some other data. But when recording the history can I choose which field the info/date goes to?

I would like it to be done when doing the mail merge but as I have 1600+ and growing contacts, I work with a 100 at a time by lookup based on other data (revenue, size etc). Is there a way to record history to a lookup to a specific field?

Bronze Contributor

Re: recording a series of letters sent?

Hello Judd.

If you have no problem in looking up those who received the first letter, I wouldn't start creating a new field for a specific campaign.  That will grow into a new field everytime you create a new campaign.  The key is to record with a unique name for each mailing that also identifies the specific template used.  If you want to attach a copy of each letter to each contact that just takes iup db space.  

What I do is to keep the template in a location for reference.  I personally use Microsoft Office and Mail Merge b/c I seem to have fewer problem in the way the eMails are received than with using ACT.  

When I am finished the mailing, and in my case the eMailing, I then do a lookup on the group that received the 1st, 2nd ... nth letter and do a history entry using the contact option as current lookup.  There you have the freedom to enter the name of the letter that was sent and only the 1 line history is added to the contact.  

Hope this made sense and good luck moving forward.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Re: recording a series of letters sent?

So you do the mailing, then record history that you mailed xx letter. How do you come back next week and know who received xx letter? Is there a way to lookup and sort by history?

I would really like a way I can easily sort and lookup who received which letter, and record which letter they received. I do my sorts and lookups in list view. Since I have so many contacts, and the list grows daily, I need to easily sort and lookup based on letter date.

Thanks