Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"object reference not set to an instance of an object" when sending email via outlook 2010 / instant search

Copper Contributor

"object reference not set to an instance of an object" when sending email via outlook 2010 / instant search

I'm running Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 4 on Windows 10 with Outlook 2010 Professional Plus version 14.0.7177.5000.

ACT gives the error "object reference not set to an instance of an object"  when sending email unless both programs are executed in Administrator mode, in which case emails work normally.  However, when Outlook is run as an administrator, Instant Search does not work and says it is not available when Outlook is run as an administrator.  There must be a solution that allows me to both send emails and also search through them!  Any suggestions?

Administrator

Re: "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when sending email via outlook 2010 / instant search

Hi ddinnsen,

Does the error persist when both Act! and Outlook aren't being run as Administrator?

The following Knowledgebase article has a number of solutions for this issue. I would suggest working though them and testing along the way. http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38196

Copper Contributor

Re: "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when sending email via outlook 2010 / instant search

Yes.  When both programs are run with admin privledges I can search in outlook, but ACT gives the error, "object reference not set to an instance of an object"  when I attempt to send email

Administrator

Thanks ddinnsen,

In that case, I would suggest working though the solutions in the article above.
Copper Contributor

I worked through each of the steps in the article in sequence and then I ran ACT as an administrator and outlook with normal permissions and I still get the error, "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I try to send an email from ACT. 

Administrator

Hi ddinnsen,

If the issue continues after completing all of the solutions in the Knowledgebase article, then I would suggest giving our support team a call so that we can take a closer look at the issue and troubleshoot it remotely.
Copper Contributor

Unfortunately my support plan just expired last week.

Copper Contributor

Could you please:

• define "object"
  • provide an example of an "object"
  • give us a high level idea of how ACT uses an "object"
  • a cursory understanding of why "objects" plague ACT
  • provide any ideas why ACT continues to sell, for at least a decade, its software to its customers with this insufferable problem
  • are "objects" problematic to other CRMs

Thank You

Administrator

Hi princeedwardh,

The error message in question is one that is produced by the underlying core framework (.NET) that Act! is built upon. The error occurs when the code running Act! tries to reference something that has not yet been properly set in the low-level operating code of the software.

Another way of interpreting the error would be where something unexpected happened, and the exact reason could not be determined, therefore a more descriptive error message does not exist. This unexpected error could be caused by something external to Act! or the operating system, which is affecting the expected outcome.

To answer your question in more detail, a knowledge of C# programming would be required to both answer, and understand the response. Unfortunately this is not a skill I possess.
Copper Contributor

Thank You for the fast response!

OK, so what are we end users, whose core competency is supposed to be earning money by using a CRM, supposed to do here?  This error occurs all to often.

"Act! tries to reference something that has not yet been properly set in the low-level operating code of the software.":

• Why does this happen?  We end customers are just typing data into ACT.  This is not a customer issue, it is an unresolved ACT issue, right?
  • Is this a common issue with other CRM systems?
  • What happens to the "something"?  Is it lost to the ether thereby putting holes in customer data?

So, I read this as ACT is unreliable and is prone to miss data that I will need now or in the future.  Why am I wrong here?

I am trying to understand how ACT works.  I need to understand why it fails because a CRM is not a "nice to have" with failure being casually excused away due to technical complexities.  No one at SwiftPage would buy a Toyota with mechanics saying, "something is not properly set and that's why it's OK you breakdown on the freeway on your way to work.  Oh, your next monthly payment (subscription payment) is due."

What is a final resolution here?

Many thanks.