Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"You do not have the authority to restore the database...

"You do not have the authority to restore the database...

... please see your database administrator"

Continuing saga.. ACT! 2006 (XP Pro), performed a BACKUP, attempting to RESTORE to ACT! 2012 (on a different PC - Windows7Pro).. The only thing we type into our ACT! 2006 to login is the ID "Terry" password is blank. I attempt to put this into the information boxes for the "RESTORE AS" options and the above error is what I am greeted with.

TERRY has MANAGER privel. on the database.

Is this an error referencing MY 2012 installation, and that "I" don't have the proper rights on "MY" machine (I installed it)? Or is this information carried over from the ACT! 2006 database, not allowing me to perform a RESTORE?

Confused...

Gil

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "You do not have the authority to restore the database...

Most likely Windows 7 User Access Control (UAC). Try starting ACT! by right clicking on the icon and choose Run as Administrator.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Did that.

No solution.

[ Edited ]

Gil,
Manager and below users do not have permissions to restore a database backup. When restoring you will need to use an Admin user login. The following Knowledgebase article provides details regarding user level permissions in ACT!:

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have a similar issue. I used to use ACT (last version was 2007) and now I have come back (just upgraded to 2013). I have some old backups that I am trying to restore but I get the "You do not have the authority to restore the database..." message. I am the administrator but I followed your instructions about running as admin... that is  I have clicked on "run as" administrator", but we never used to use passwords, so I can only guess what the password might be. It won't accept a blank password.

Can you offer any other suggestions?

Thanx

Jane

Hello Jane,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The message indicates that you need the login information for an Admin user in the database you are trying to restore. First, if it is your database, try combinations or your first and last name. Leave the password blank. You can also try restoring the database using the ACT! Diagnostics utility by following the instructions for "Restore Database Backup (.BAK) File" in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2760...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanx Greig,

I had a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) after I wrote to you. I was perplexed because we had never been required to enter a password in the past... so I tried leaving the User Name and Password completely blank and voila!!! It worked!!! I ahve been trying every which way but Sunday for a few weeks now - and leaving them blank was the answer...

Thanx again.

Cheers,

Jane