Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Value can not be null. Parameter name: type." Can't email from Act & no Outlook choice in setup

"Value can not be null. Parameter name: type." Can't email from Act & no Outlook choice in setup

Act not letting me email. Giving error message "Value can not be null. Parameter name: type."

Frequent question fix gives these directions: Act-tools-preferences-email-email system setup--- next- Then box is given to make a choice, but box offers no choices.

I think box is supposed to give me choice to select Outlook in the box===>but hothing to choose from. Nothing in box.  HaVE i LOST A FILE AND HOW do I get ability to email from Act back?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "Value can not be null. Parameter name: type." Can't email from Act & no Outlook choice in setup

Hello dwayne,
If the email system selection box is completely empty, then please see this Knowledgebase article for a possible solution:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2342...

If this does not resolve, you may also need to manually rebuild your preferences file. Follow the steps in the bottom half of this KB article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: "Value can not be null. Parameter name: type." Can't email from Act & no Outlook choice in setup

Followed  your complex  instructions to fix empty box in email preferences.  Now Email Preference box has "Internet Mail" as ONLY CHOICE.  Is that what I want to get Act to email and get around my "Null..." error message and get Act to work again with Outlook?

After your fix I did:  Email->Preferences->Email system (Here under Email system it shows "MS Outlook" BUT UNDER “OUTLOOK SYNCHRONIZATION” EVERYTHING is "gREYED."

When I go to the Box page, I have one choice -> Internet Mail.  Is that  "Internet Mail"  what I want to get it to work with outlook like it used to?

This is the third day without having Act working properly.  I have over 8 hours trying to figure this out and working with you and other providers.  Great support!  Got any human who could call and just fix this?  Great support for small business who has been with act fort about 20 years and sought help only a handful of times... Reason to brag...

What version of ACT! and what version of Outlook do you have?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

MS OUtlook Professional Plus 2010, Ver 14.0.6123.5001 (32 bit)

[ Edited ]

I woud go ahead and update 2011 to Service Pack 1, then apply the latest hot fix. You can find the updates here:

2011 SP1:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2729...

Latest Hot Fix for 2011 SP1:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2744...

Note that if you are using a shared database or remote database that syncs to a main database, then ALL machines with ACT! 2011 must apply these updates, starting with the machine that is hosting the main database.

Greig Hollister

[ Edited ]

Followed your directions.Now Act reads:  "Act Pro 2011Version 13.1.111.0  Hot fix 6."

Andit still does not allow me toemail from act and gives the "Value cannot be null..." message. It also does NOT RECORD HISTORIES WHEN I MAIL FROM OUTLOOK.

i HAVE REPORTED THIS, but evidentally it was not reported to you.

What do I do now with 10+ hours and over a week into this unresolved problem?

[Edit: name removed per Community guidelines]