Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." when deleting a user.

"Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." when deleting a user.

Hi,

I was doing some clean-up in ACT and decided to delete a bunch of old users. I was able to delete most of them with no problem.

There were three users I had an issue deleting. The following message would come up and I was unable to delete the user.

"ACT! by Sage
Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

I kept trying and was ultimatly able to delete 2 of the users but the last user I can't delete. No matter what I try, I get the Timeout Error message.

I increased the timeouts to 7200 seconds. I got the same message.

I ran maintenace on the database. Same message.

The user is only the Record Manager for one contact - herself. I've tried to delete her using every combination of options in the Delete User window but no luck 

I deleted someone else just yesterday. Np problem. Tried this user again. Same error message.

I'm not sure why it's timing out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We are using ACT Premium 2009.

Thank you!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: "Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." when deleting a user

Have you tried running the database rebuilds and/or fixes in the ActDiag program?  (It is in the same folder as the Act! application...)

Re: "Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." when deleting a user

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Yes, I did. I did the Repair, Reindex and Rebuilds through ACT!Diagnostics.

Thanks!

I know this is a really old question but there is no solution posted and I currently have the same issue... any chance of a fix?

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Michaellhall,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

If you haven't already, be sure to run the Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair option.  Note: Always make a backup before running maintenance.

If you still receive the error, you can increase the timeout values using the following article: KB Article 14151

Greg Martin
Sage

I have this issue also.

Nothing in this discussion resolves it.

I tried the database repair, and changing the timeout in every possible config file, it still times out after about 90 sec (all the timeouts were changed to 300).

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi boaz,

Are you attempting to delete the user on a client machine, or on the server (or do you only have one machine running Act with a local database)?

I would suggest first running a re-index from Act! by clicking on Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.

I would also suggest setting the timeout values though ActDiag to the following:

• DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Default - 300s
  • DatabaseConnectionTimeOut.Default - 300s
  • DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Long- 7200s

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply. The operation that times out is on the server, I am trying to erase an old remote database of a user.

I did try running the check and repair from the up, which did not help this time. I also repeated the operation after rebooting the server, and most of the 32GB memory was free.

The "long" parameter was not there, so I added:

<add key="DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Long" value="7200"/>

It still times out after about 90sec.

Background: this remote database grew to 10.5G for some reason, and user was no longer able to sync (due to the SQL express 10GB limit on his machine). I created a new database for him, which is 5.5GB and syncs fine. The central database is running on SQL Standard, which does not have this limit, but maybe reaching the limit on the client caused some problem on the server. I still believe that I am not modifying the right timeout value.

Update:

I changed the timeout parameter at Act!.exe.config to 900

<add key="DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Default" value="900" />
 and after 2 failed attempts, the database was deleted successfully.

Administrator

Hi boaz,

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved this. Glad to hear it worked.