Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"The database could not be accessed ..."

Copper Contributor

"The database could not be accessed ..."

The database "XXXXXXX" could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database is availlable. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer on the server.

I've seen this issue listed elsewhere in this forums. However, in those cases, it appears to be a network instance. My installation is on a laptop with no server install. Everything is local. I've seen others reference the demo DB. I get the same error when opening that instance as well.

I have also disabled the norton firewall and had the same results.

I do see files with the following extensions: .adf, alf and .pad.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "The database could not be accessed ..."

Most likely the SQL server isn't running. In the Windows Task Manager chek services and look for the ACT! 7 SQL server and make sure it's running.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy,

Your name seems familiar.  You've been doing this a long time  haven't you? 

How doi check this?  What am i looking for,  and where am i looking?  Thx. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

20 years counting both ACT! tech support and being an ACC.

Do the three finger salute (CTRL + ALT + Delete) and start the Task manager. Go to the Services tab and loo for SQLAgent(ACT7) and make sure it's running.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I thought so!!! Thank you!

We're on to something ....

Teh SQL Agent Act 7 is "stopped".  However, it won't let me start it. I get the error below ...because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

So, upon further investigation, I went to services and saw it is disbaled. In enabling it, there are several choices:

1. Automatic (Delayed Start)
  2. Automatic
  3. Manual

I chose #2. Did I choose well?

Upon choosing #2, I went back to Task Manager and clicked start. It changed to running but then changed back to stopped. I tried again and it changes instantly to stopped. I tried, thru the services console to start the service. it gives me another error!

So, that beng said, after following those steps, I then launched Act 2013 and it worked. Seeminly w/no issues. Haven't done anyy work yet but run another backup! That being  BUT, we're further than before. And, the odd thing?  In Task Manager, it still shows the Act7 SQL service as stopped.

So, what next?

Thanks.

Act error 2.JPG

Act error 3.JPG

Act error 4.JPG