Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"The SQL Database instance is unavailable"

"The SQL Database instance is unavailable"

Just downloaded Act Pro 2012 for single user.  Attempted to open my database which was created in Act 2009. I get this message immediately if I try the PAD file.  I get this message after software attempts to convert the file if trying ADF file.  ACT 2012 will not convert my ACT 2009 database.  Since I just did a brand new install, the SQL was installed.  I am the administrator on this single machine.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: "The SQL Database instance is unavailable"

With the assumption that the database is local to your computer (not on a server/host), you will need to ensure that the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service is running.  Instructions can be found in this article: KB Article 28216 

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

So what if we are trying to open a shared database on a server and this message comes up?

We installed ACT! this morning, I have shared a database from another machine (on the same license), we

registered the new installation, but when opening the database on the \\server\folder\ACTSHARE\database

it gives that message.

Other articles here reference previous versions of ACT!, not 2012.

(Windows firewall is not an issue - we use these servers with virtually all other programs.)

Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks everyone!

Hello Gary,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The first thought is: can you open the database on the host machine?  If yes, then the service is started.  If not, check the service.

If it will open on the host machine, it may be that the database is not set to shared.  On host, open database > Tools > Database Maintenance > Share Database.

If the database is set to shared, it may be your firewall blocking.  You can use this article to add exceptions to the firewall: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you so much for your reply.

On my machine, I am having no problem running the Act and accessing the database on our disk server.

I have confirmed that the file was specifically shared (I made sure I read other posts first and did that

then tried again).

On the other machine, attempts to open the file gave the error previously listed.

What do you mean by host machine?

It is 2 separate PC's each accessing a shared database with their own program running.

My discussions with the Act person when I bought it said the file can be stored on a disk and accessed by

our 2 licensed version of Act.

So - if I'm not implementing that . . I'm probably not knowing what the heck I'm talking about - ha!

Do I have to take steps to set my PC up as a server?

Or is that inherent when I open and run Act on one machine.

What happens if my machine is off?

My assumption was that the server-stored (it just looks like a disk drive) would allow the to PCs

to independently run Act and coordinate as needed when one person made changes.

So - if one is to act as a server, it would need to be running all the time?

And, I suppose that this is documented somewhere that I can't find on this discussion group?

On the ACT site somewhere? It seems like a fundamental issue.

So - with all of this - what would the SQL error relate to the file being on the server (just a file stored on a path, full

access read/write priveleges to each)

Great appreciation for your assistance!!!!

Thanks,

Gary

Hmmm.. Ok - let me see if I can make it through without missing something Smiley Happy

That is a good sign that the database opens on your computer; although I'm not sure what you are referring to with 'disk server'.  If this is separate from one of your 2 computers, I would have to assume it is an external hard drive attached with a USB cable to your computer - or - it is a third computer onto which you have also installed the ACT! program. 

FYI: An ACT! database uses the Microsoft SQL Server program as its 'engine' - SQL requires the database be on a hard drive that is considered 'Local' to the computer on which SQL is installed.  A USB attached hard drive is considered local... but not the best candidate for an ACT! database.

For sharing a database between 2 (or more) computers, you will need to have a netwok connection in place.  Generally, if you have the ability to share files/folders between computers - there is a network in place.  You would need to be able to see each other's computer through the Windows 'My Network' (Vista/Win7 'Network') option.

The computer that has the physical database files on it is considered the 'host' machine.  It can be a desktop or server and wouldn't require any special setup (outside of having a network in place).

If the database is hosted on your computer and you turn your computer off, there will be no access to the database from another computer.  You don't have to be actively signed onto the computer, as long as it is up and running (yes, all the time).

The error indicates that the other computer can't find the SQL service running - definitely go through the article to add the firewall exceptions, it could be blocking the ACT! program and causing the error. 

Another item to check is the file you are using to open the database on the other computer.  I assume you are browsing to the PAD file associated with your database - right click on the PAD file and select Open With... > Notepad.  Within the file there is an item for 'Host=***', does the '****' match your computer's name (your computer > right click 'Computer' icon > select Properties).

Within the following article are steps for changing the Host name (last option in the list: problem on client resolving name of host) to your computer's IP address, this may be needed in your environment: KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage

We change a computer name and since then, we have this error message "The SQL Database instance is unavailable:.

What do we have to do?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Open the database with the ADF option to update the pad file

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129