Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Remote Database is Unavailalbe" after moving Master Database to new computer

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

"Remote Database is Unavailalbe" after moving Master Database to new computer

Hello.

So got a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium a few weeks ago.  I backed up my Master Database that was on my old XP desktop and restored it on the new computer.  I have one Remote Database on a laptop over the network that is running on XP.

Now that I have restored the Master Database on the W7 computer, I can no longer sync the two databases.  When I try to sync the laptop with the remote, I get this error message "Remote database info is unavailable.  Please check if the remote database has been deleted".  The remote database has obviously not been deleted because we work on it every day.  I made sure the Restored Master is shared and that I changed the Database location on the remote database.

I have tried creating a new remote database but I get this message "Failed to create remote database.  Access to path is denied".  I am able to create a Remote on other computers over the network but not the one I actually need it on.

Any help is appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Learning Links
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "Remote Database is Unavailalbe" after moving Master Database to new computer

[ Edited ]

Hello Learning Links,

When you moved the Publisher database, did you use a backup, then Restore As? If so, then this would have broken synchronization as the remotes would not recognize the new database. Using Restore As basically creates a new database from the info in a backup file.  Please see KB Article 19817 for the proper method to move a database and retain sync.

I regards to the error you are receiving when trying to create a new remote, this appears to be a permissions error. If the Publisher is on a Windows 7 machine this could be due to User Account Control (UAC). Try these two things:

- Close ACT! on the machine, then reopen by right-clicking on the program icon and selecting "Run As Administrator" (instead of double-clicking).

- Lower the settings for or disable UAC. Instructions are in KB Article 25665.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

Re: "Remote Database is Unavailalbe" after moving Master Database to new computer

Several things are possible.  1) Only ACT 2010 works with Windows 7 2) you need to change the settings on the publisher database and the subscriber database.  I suspect it is a combination of both of these problems.  Assuming you have ACT 2010, You may try turning off UAC (in Control Panel).  If you have not yet changed the location of the Publisher on the subscriber machine, this is under Tools, Sync panel,

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Sorry.  Forgot to mention that we use ACT 2009.  I do realize that techinically it's not W7 compatible.

I have already changed the database locations on the subscriber's sync panel with no luck.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Learning Links
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello Learning Links,

When you moved the Publisher database, did you use a backup, then Restore As? If so, then this would have broken synchronization as the remotes would not recognize the new database. Using Restore As basically creates a new database from the info in a backup file.  Please see KB Article 19817 for the proper method to move a database and retain sync.

I regards to the error you are receiving when trying to create a new remote, this appears to be a permissions error. If the Publisher is on a Windows 7 machine this could be due to User Account Control (UAC). Try these two things:

- Close ACT! on the machine, then reopen by right-clicking on the program icon and selecting "Run As Administrator" (instead of double-clicking).

- Lower the settings for or disable UAC. Instructions are in KB Article 25665.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Yes I did a Backup and Restore As to get the database on the new W7 machine. This was suggested to me as the easiest way but thank you for the link to the KB Article. That will come in handy.

When creating the remote I already Run it as the Admin and have disabled the UAC.

In the error you were getting when creating the remote  "Failed to create remote database.  Access to path is denied".  Was the filepath you were denied access to listed in the error?

Another option you can try is to enable the built-in Adminstrator account in Windows 7, log off Windows, log back into Windows under that Admin account, then try creating the remote. Instructions to enable the built-in Admin account are in KB Article 21797.

You may also want to look at the suggested solutions in KB Article 20196.

Greig Hollister

Well I finally got the remote database working. I had to create a new RDB on the server, move it to another computer on the network, and then move it from there to the subscribing machine.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was but it's working now so I can't complain.

Thanks for everybody's help!