Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Dark ages" no more: Advice for an ACT! makeover?

Copper Contributor

"Dark ages" no more: Advice for an ACT! makeover?

[ Edited ]

Well, not so dark, but I'm running ACT! 2010 (Version 12) on an aging laptop, with no mobile device, and hoping for advice to get caught up for best productivity.

My ACT! needs are fairly basic (I believe), with one database of about 1600 contacts with extensive notes for most of those contacts. I use the calendar function to generate a daily to-do list, but don't do any direct emailing or calling from within the ACT! program. Just notes and to-dos.

Technology-wise, I'm running Windows 7 on a Thinkpad (laptop). Even though it's fairly light, I'd like something lighter, as I'm on and-off planes, traveling constantly. My other computer needs on the road are using Word for documents, processing photos (usually using the basic Photoscape software), showing a PowerPoint demo, and the usual email and Internet stuff. No games and no heavy graphics.

I'd consider moving to a Mac, but don't want to run Windows "virtually" (or whatever it's called) just for ACT!. For ease of travel, I'd love to have a desktop or laptop at home, but be able to bring a tablet of some sort on the road that can do everything mentioned above. Is that possible, or is a laptop still my best option overall?

I'm open to any and all suggestions, as ACT! is a critical part of my decision-making, and I'm not sure what all my options are. Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Re: "Dark ages" no more: Advice for an ACT! makeover?

No one? Request too broad?

Silver Super Contributor

Yep.  Pretty broad.  If I were you I'd get one of the new Thinkpad X1 Carbons with Windows 8 Pro and ACT! 2013.  That should meet your basic requirements of a lighter laptop and since you're familiar with the Thinkpad line, warranty, etc. it wouldn't be that big of a move.  That's probably the one that I'm going to get next.  As far as ACT! is concerned there are any number of things you can do with it that you aren't already but they may or may not make sense in your situation.  That sounds like an ideal question to pose to an ACT! Certified Consultant.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thanks! Still hopeful others may chime in, as I welcome any and all suggestions...