Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Computer could not be reached because the IP address quote could not be resolved"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

"Computer could not be reached because the IP address quote could not be resolved"

This just started happening after Windows 10 latest upgrade last week.

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling under administrator, with AV turned off. No joy.

SQL running. Tried restarting - no joy

Changed permissions on C drive, ACT database folders to shared and Full Control - no joy.

Any other suggestions.

Running latest version 21 of PRO along with Outlook 365 Business (which has add-on disabled - can enable either)

Cheers

John

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author butj
‎01-27-2019 01:59 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: "Computer could not be reached because the IP address quote could not be resolved"

There are a number of reasons and things to try so I will start with the easiest -

Rename the database  .pad file to .old

Open ACT and go File - Open / Share Database - Browse for a Database - Change the pad file option to the ADF option

Now browse to the .adf file. ACT will now create a new PAD file and open the database if this was the problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author butj
‎01-27-2019 01:59 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: "Computer could not be reached because the IP address quote could not be resolved"

There are a number of reasons and things to try so I will start with the easiest -

Rename the database  .pad file to .old

Open ACT and go File - Open / Share Database - Browse for a Database - Change the pad file option to the ADF option

Now browse to the .adf file. ACT will now create a new PAD file and open the database if this was the problem.

Copper Contributor

Yep I tried that on a previous old db I had setup which demonstrates the same error and it worked.

Problem is there is no .ADF file for this database. I wonder why?  Can I create one?

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

The .pad file is a pointer only so if the adf file is missing it may be somewhere else on your PC. The adf file is your database file so we do need to find it. Try a search for .adf on your PC and see what turns up.

If that does not work try opening the .pad file in wordpad as it contains the path in side to the database.

Lastly if this stil does not work is there anyway the database could have been deleted?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Cant find it. Fortunately my database was new and I had only a few entries. You original fix of renaming the .PAD file worked, so I am back up and running.

Thanks again.