Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally"

"Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally"

I just installed 2012 Pro (from scratch with no previous versions of ACT on my laptop) and am getting the message shown in the subject line.

Can someone explain why and what I need to do to create a new database?  Based on some posts I have read I am VERY nervous about how stable this software is going to be and if I'm going to get the support I need from Sage when I need it.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Sincerely,

New and Already Frustrated!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: "Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally"

There are some tips relating to this problem herer;

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Unable-to-create-database-SQL-is-not-locally-installed/td-p/117...

I have installed this software without incident on desktop and laptop computers and would say that it is "very" stable.  Make sure you install all updates and hot fixes for your version of Act!.  (See the upper portion of the Product Forum on this site.)

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

Thanks Mark. Other than the SP1, what other updates do I need to be sure to download?

Thanks again!

Terry
Copper Elite Contributor

There is also a Hot Fix 3 for Act! Pro 2012.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

I am having the same problem.

New Pc

New Windows 7 with all the current patches

Old ACT! user and frustriated, there are always problem with ACT! - if the tec department know about this way dont they fix it?

Hermann Valsson

Gardhus 6

112 Reykjavik

Iceland

Platinum Super Contributor

First you will need to verify that SQL is installed and the ACT7 instance has been created.  Use the following article to verify the service is installed and started: KB Article 28216

If the service is not listed, there was an issue with the installation of SQL. 

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]
Yes, thank you for pointing this out for me.

But to go through  this KB article each time that I install ACT! is just not acceptable.

The install routine for a new Windows 7 is just not OK.

The problems that I have had through my ACT! using time, which is now over 20 years is just too much.

ACT! was a good software, but now for the last 10 years with release of ACT! 1, ACT! 3, ACT! 5 and specially ACT! 7 it is just too difficuot to face the client and try to explane way all these problems.

ACT! is now just a dead product becouse of tec difficulity that the managers of ACT! are not willing to accept and when you go through the homepage of ACt! then the only thing that you find there is a "good" case study not the realaty. 

Sorry but this is just the reality.

Those that are working with ACT! as a Certified ACT! Consultant try what they can to sweap this just under the carpet as the installed client base is that big and the financial interest that we have is just too big.

But the fact and the truth is that ACT! is just a very faulty software, and that the tech manager which conrol the work with is are not up to their task.

Hermann Valsson
Gardhus 6
112 Reykjavík
Iceland

[ Edited ]
I have had ACT 2012 andWindows 7 installed since September 2011.  A few weeks ago I started getting this message.  The page-long procedure to fix it is too complicated for something that should NOT be happening at all.  The only solution I have found so far is the re-install ACT when I get the error message (a 1/2-hour process), or leave my computer on at night which my Lexmark printer doesn't like.  It refuses to print after a time.  (Lexmark printer also requires drivers to be re-loaded any time you want to scan anything.)

So, I am totally off at both Sage & Lexmark.

If ACT were a free download, I would expect the lack of support they give.  But, at the price paid, it is entirely unsatisfactory.  At least Lexmark offers help and is apologetic for my problem.

Norm

Hermann,

I'm not sure I understand the statement 'But to go through  this KB article each time that I install ACT! is just not acceptable.', you should only be installing ACT! once on the computer.  Unless there is an issue with the installation, then that issue will need troubleshooting to determine the cause. 

If you are referring to each time you open ACT!:

- Was the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service present? 

- If present, was it 'Started'?

- Were you able to start it?

- Was the 'Startup Type' set to 'Automatic'?

Greg Martin
Sage

Norm60,

Your post makes it appear ACT! was working for a time, if that is correct what is the error you receive when opening your database?  I assume you aren't attempting to create a new database, so the subject error is different from what you see.

Did you go through the steps in the article to see if the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service is present?  If yes, were you able to start it?  If the problem is that the service isn't starting after a reboot, you can set the 'Startup Type' to 'Automatic - Delayed' and it should resovle the problem.

Greg Martin
Sage