Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Adf files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used"

"Adf files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used"

Hello,

We used to work a workstation as a network for our computers. ACT was istalled on this workstation. We were backing up ACT on an external server. This worstation crashed. We then rapatriated ACT in a new computer that we use as a network. For each .PAD documents, i had to openeach of  them with Notepad and change the name "location" from our previous computer to the new one in order to be able to access ACT. It worked out fine for some ACT databases. Howevere, for others, i experienced problem and i cant open them. When i try to open a database from THE workstation, i have the following error message "adf files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used". When i look on the computer, the files, the .PAD, the .ALF and the .ADF are present in the same location. Can you help me guys?? Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "Adf files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used"

Hello Gregory,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. This error usually occurs when trying to create or attach a database to a network or mapped location. ACT! databases can only be created or attached in a local location on the machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: "Adf files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used"

Greig,

Thank you very much for your help.

The problem is that the database are already created and all the files (folder, ADF, PAD and ALF) are already at the same location on one machine that we use as our network.

Platinum Super Contributor

Try opening the problem databases using the ADF file. To do this:
- rename the PAD file (add '.old' to end)
- Open Sage ACT! > File > Open/Share Database > click 'Not listed' > browse to database folder > change 'Files of type' to ADF. Select ADF and attempt to open. This will create a new PAD file.
Greg Martin
Sage