Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Act.outlook..service has encountered a problem and needs to close" Error

Copper Elite Contributor

"Act.outlook..service has encountered a problem and needs to close" Error

I'm running ACT! 2010 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1, with Windows XP and Outlook 2007.

Over the past couple of weeks, I'm getting the same error at least once a day, "act.outlook.service has encountered a problem and needs to close." I haven't changed anything about my configuration, and just noticed this morning that I got the error when I didn't even have ACT! running.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is and how to make it go away? Thank you.

Re: "Act.outlook..service has encountered a problem and needs to close" Error

One of our remote users is getting this same error. She was one of our only upgraded users from ACT! 2006 to ACT! 2010.

Platinum Super Contributor

This can be caused by an excessive number of emails being retained in the 'Not Attached Messages' tab within the Act.Outlook service.  To check this: look in the Windows System tray for an icon of a white envelope with a red circle and 'x' within the circle.  Double click on this icon to present the 'Attach to Act! Contacts Progress' window.  Click on the 'Not Attached' tab and remove the emails listed.

You can also clear the Act! 'Historyqueue' folder of unattached messages.  It can be accessed by:

- click on Windows Start button > select Run > enter '%appdata%' > click Enter key

- navigate to Act\Act for Windows ##\Historyqueue

- delete the files within the Historyqueue folder

Greg Martin
Sage

I hate to chime in on someone else's thread, but I did what you suggested and it didn't help. In fact, she hadn't told me before, but she actually gets 3 errors when she starts up her computer. They are all ACT! related and here's the list of programs that error out.

Act.Outlook,Service

ActScheduler

ACTSage

All of the ACT! programs that run at startup fail.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program and it didn't help. She uses the scheduler for her remote syncs and Outlook sync or I'd just take them out of startup.

Platinum Super Contributor

JKelly,

Have you looked at the Event Viewer for any other messages indicating what is causing the services to fail to start?

Once the computer is settled, can you start the services manually? 

Go to C:\Program Files\Act\Act for Windows and double click on:  Act.Outlook.Service.exe (then check Task Manager for process).

Open the Services screen (Start > Run > Services.msc): right click on Act! Scheduler and select Start.

Greg Martin
Sage

The user is not in the office at the moment so I'm not able to check, but yesterday Act.Outlook.Service starts when you pull up ACT! (if I remember correctly). It was running when I was doing testing. I didn't try to load the Scheduler and I'll look into the Event Logs when/if she comes in today.

[ Edited ]

I had to disable all of the ACT startup programs. Even though the Scheduler errors out, it still runs. Here is the error from the Event Viewer for the Scheduler

Event Type: Error Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 8/3/2010 Time: 9:25:56 AM User: N/A Computer: ARMSTRONGNB1 Description: Faulting application act.scheduler.ui.exe, version 12.1.181.0, stamp 4b57d6c1, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, stamp 00000000, debug? 0, fault address 0x771216af. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. 

Cut out the "data" at the end