Search instead for 
Do you mean 

psiservice_exe, memory usage

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

psiservice_exe, memory usage

[ Edited ]

I'm using ACT 2009 on a WinXp machine.  Works very well and this is probably the last version of ACT that does work well on XP.   In any event I am familiar with the PSI Service that installs itself along with ACT in order to verify legitimacy.     Recently I had an unrelated issue on this pc with a miscreant toolbar that installed various other un-needed services that were causing problems with remote login.   The solution to that problem was to open task manager and sort processes by # handles.  Of course this one was right at the top with over 16,000 handles.     Once it was stopped and the application removed, all was fine.  In the meantime I've began looking at the psiservice and notice that it is also using a larger number of handles, right now it's at 11,000 and rising.      Microsoft advises that anything over 5000 is too high.

I know I can't stop this service, or ACT won't run, but what about this issue with the # handles?  Can I start ACT, then stop the psiservice.exe then start it when I close ACT?

Thanks for any help.

Victor.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author victord66
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: psiservice_exe, memory usage

I certainly don't think that is normal, but I don't have a reason for it occurring.  Restarting the service would reduce the resources it uses.  Restarting it every day would be a good way to ensure that it doesn't gather enough resources to become a problem. 

You can restart the service manually through the Windows Services screen or with the file I have attached.  Save file to desktop > remove '.doc' so file name is 'stop_start_protexis.bat' > double click to run.

You could set up the BAT file to run through the Windows Scheduled Tasks option. 

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Victor,

It would appear that the service may be damaged; the 2 XP systems I've looked at had a handle count <1000.  What is the count after restarting the service or computer?  Are you noticing an issue with the computer as the handle count rises?

If it isn't causing a problem I'm not sure you will want to make any changes, but here is an article with instructions for reinstalling just the Protexis (psiservice) service: KB Article 23027

I tested stopping the service after opening Sage ACT!, and was able to continue working in the database; however, I tested with Sage ACT! 2013, not 2009.  I can't be sure which functions within the program may attempt to access the licensing service, so I can't recommend running ACT! without the psiservice also running.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg. The handle count when first started is around 1600, but now after 7 hours is at 12,898. I'm noticing minor issues with slowness. I'll look at that article about reinstalling.

It's always good to have information and options. Here is some additional info I meant to include...

- You can restart the service any time through the Windows Services screen, that would be a quick/easy but temporary fix.

- Uninstalling/Reinstalling ACT! will also reinstall the Protexis program, but may require re-applying updates you may have installed to the ACT! program. You would want to note the version/build information through the Help > About ACT! screen before uninstalling.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Wouldn't it be far easier just to re-install Protexis? It doesn't look like as big a chore as re-installing ACT.

Just providing options Smiley Happy

Depending on comfort with computers, different options may be more appealing.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks very much Greg. I had contacted Protexis directly and they sent me a current installer for the software plus instructions. Did the re-install and it seems fine now. Had my system up all day and the handles are much lower than 1000.
Copper Contributor

I guess I spoke to soon.  After a few days the # handles is back up to over 8000.   Memory usage is 3776K.   I have re-installed ACT as well.   At this point I'm really not sure if there is in fact a problem, but in any event is this normal?    Can I stop and re-start the service to get it back down?   How about an automated batch file that stops and starts the service at 3am?   I have asked Protexis but they have not responed.   Thanks for your help.

Solution
Accepted by topic author victord66
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I certainly don't think that is normal, but I don't have a reason for it occurring.  Restarting the service would reduce the resources it uses.  Restarting it every day would be a good way to ensure that it doesn't gather enough resources to become a problem. 

You can restart the service manually through the Windows Services screen or with the file I have attached.  Save file to desktop > remove '.doc' so file name is 'stop_start_protexis.bat' > double click to run.

You could set up the BAT file to run through the Windows Scheduled Tasks option. 

Greg Martin
Sage