Search instead for 
Do you mean 

problems with installing ACT!2009 on my laptop

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

problems with installing ACT!2009 on my laptop

Dear forum members,

I am a first time user and I have some problems with installing ACT!2009 version 11 on my laptop with XP SP3 and Outlook 2003.

I have tried many things after the first installation didn't work, such as using the uninstaller from their website and removing all remainings manually. However, the installations that followed didn't work either.

Once the installation went fine after manually deleting native client, support files, VSS writer from the software programs in the control panel, but when i tried to create a database i got the following message: “Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server”

The error message I received during the last installation is the following:

Details

Product:  SQL Server ID:  50000 Source:  setup.rll Version:  10.0 Component:  SQL Server Native Client Message:  A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file '%.*ls'.     Explanation An attempt was made to install (or update) SQL Server Native Client on a computer where SQL Server Native Client is already installed, and where the existing installation was from an MSI file that was not named sqlncli.msi.     User Action

To resolve this error, uninstall the existing version of SQL Server Native Client. To prevent this error, do not install SQL Server Native Client from an MSI file that is not named sqlncli.msi.

Hopefully someone can help me here... I work in China and I can't find anyone who has knowledge about ACT!

Bye, Rudi

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rudi01
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: problems with installing ACT!2009 on my laptop

OK! I finally got it working. The serial works and the database has been created.

But... an new problem has arised:

WHen i want to set up the email client it doesn't recognise my Outlook (its not listed in the window).

I think this has something to do with the following:

The last unsuccesful installation i uninstalled and when it asked to restart my computer i didnt chose to. I started up my Outlook and then an error message came up saying it couldn't find a specific file somwhere in the ACT! program files folder. This kept coming for a few days till i installed succesfully just now.

How can i get my ACT! recognise my Outlook ? (it did before after some of the unsuccessful installations, but not after the one described above)

Please give me your advice, thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies

Try the steps below.

Uninstall ACT! using the uninstaller.

- How to Use the ACT! Uninstaller.exe file

Go to Add/remove programs and remove the ACT7 instance. Follow section How to Remove the ACT7 Instance in the KB article below.

- How to Uninstall ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) and ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0)

Uninstall SQL components - Native Client, Support Files, VSS Writer, MSXML 6

Restart

Install ACT!

Copper Elite Contributor

I would suggest installing MSICUU2 (google that) and then find, and remove the entry for "SQL Native Client", once you do that, try to reinstall.
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have tried both suggestions although i mixed them up a little:

I used the uninstaller to remove ACT!2009. I downloaded msicuu2 and uninstalled SQL components - Native Client, Support Files, VSS Writer, MSXML. SQL server 2005 was not in theadd/remove software section of the control panel so ACT7 instance i could not find.

I restarted the computer and installed ACT!2009 again.

When i tried to create a database i got the following message: an error occurred. unable to connect to sql server.

Then i used the uninstaller. After that i downloaded SQL 2005 express form microsoft and tried to install it but it came up with the following error:

Details

Product: SQL Server ID: 50000 Source: setup.rll Version: 10.0 Component: SQL Server Native Client Message: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file '%.*ls'.     Explanation An attempt was made to install (or update) SQL Server Native Client on a computer where SQL Server Native Client is already installed, and where the existing installation was from an MSI file that was not named sqlncli.msi.     User Action To resolve this error, uninstall the existing version of SQL Server Native Client. To prevent this error, do not install SQL Server Native Client from an MSI file that is not named sqlncli.msi.

When i open add/remove software in the control panel or the Windows Install Clean Up i dont see any of the SQL components mentioned above and in the error such as Native Client. SQL2005 i dont see either.

What shoud i do now?? When i install ACT!2009 it aks for the region, i set up as Europe, although i am in China. Could that be the reason?

Any help is appreciated!

Message Edited by rudi01 on 05-25-2009 11:06 AM

If you don't have other SQL instances, follow the steps below.

- Uninstall ACT! and SQL from add/remove programs.

- Delete C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

- Go to Start and select Run

- Type regedit and click Ok.

- Backup your registry.

How to Back Up the Registry on a Windows Operating System

- Delete the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

- Restart the computer.

- Install ACT! 2009 using the download - check your private messages.

Copper Contributor

Hi David, I followed your steps below but again i got an error message. I have made some print screens but there seems to be no option to attach files here.

While installing SQL 2005  the following window popped up:

SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Encryption not supported on the client. Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.

When I clicked on the question mark at the bottom left of this window the following window came up:

Item name                   Value

LinkID                          20476

Product Name              Microsoft SQL Server

Prduct Version             9.00.3042.00

Message Source          setup.rll

Message ID                 29515

EvtType                       lib\odbc_connection.cpp@Do_sqlScr

Then it asks to connect to the internet to get help with this message, following information it gave:

Details

ID: 29515                                              Source: setup.rll                                                  We're sorry There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.

Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us identify those areas for which we need to provide more information.      

I really don't know what to do now, any suggestions?

In case nobody can help here-as i bought the software-is there any customer support i can get? and, do you think they are able to help me?

Thanks!

- Uninstall the SQL components from add/remove programs. 

- Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and rename sqlncli.dll.

- Attempt to install.

Copper Contributor

Thanks a lot David! it finally works...

but, when i enter the serial number it says its unvalid, while it worked before.

Is that maybe because i use your downloaded version instead of the installation CD? What shall i do?

If i have to install from the CD, how should i prepare? (i.e. uninstall, etc.)

Also, as i changed the file name, should i set it back? Can it cause any trouble when i want to update to a newer version someday, or when i want to share the database with my colleague through a server?

A lot of questions... Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Send me a private message with your serial number.

Copper Contributor

it's not the serial key...

I called Sage and they 'amended my tolerances' on my license key.

I uninstalled David's ACT! and installed from my own CD, which i found out, is the premium version.

It installed without any problems (after renaming sqlncli.dll again), and the serial also worked, bit when i tried to create a database or load the Demo database it said: cannot connect to server (or database, something like that)

Now i am at the point that i cleaned all ACT! remainings with all the help from below, such as register keys, renaming .dll, removing all SQL components, and so on.

Any suggestions before i try again in a few minutes? as i assume that i didnt remove ACT!2009 completely before i installed premium (i didnt rmeove register keys, SQL folder in program files, etc. Only uninstaller and renaming .dll

Thanks!