Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

problem creating database in ACT 2009

problem creating database in ACT 2009

I am a ACT! 2009 user who is trying to create a new database and section off certain contacts organized by their ID/Status. Im selecting to create a new database from the menu bar and then it asks me what to call the database and where it should go. I pick a place for it and then select the ok button. It then starts to create but is suddenly interupted by a small window explaining the following: "The file is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed. Could not open new database. CREATE DATABASE is aborted." Im completely confused on what to do next. Making a seperapte database for my different contacts if vital to my business. If anyone has any suggestions or can help refer me to someone that can help please do. Thanks all that respond. 
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: problem creating database in ACT 2009

Hello Lennysiss,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

It appears the folder you are trying to create your database in has been set to 'Compress' it's contents.  You will need to remove that setting to allow the database to be created there, to do this:

- Browse to the folder location

- Right click on the target Folder and select Properties

- On the General tab > click on Advanced button

- uncheck the option for 'Compress contents to save disk space'

- click Ok to close the window > click Ok to close the Properties window

You can now attempt to create your database in that folder.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: problem creating database in ACT 2009

thank you for your help; however, it appears that once i go through your process, act is creating the folder but the message i get is: "the 'blank'.adf folder is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or file group. The file must be decompressed.  Could not open new database.

Please advise.

Thanks.