Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

problem connecting ACT to database on another computer

problem connecting ACT to database on another computer

Hi - i have 2 Windows 7 PCs, Running ACT 2011 Pro, 2 licenses. I'm having a problem opening act from the client pc, getting the error "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..." I've disabled the firewall, the database folder on host PC is shared to everyone. I have a feeling it may have something to do with A. If i go to tools/database maintenance "share" is grayed out. B. The PAD file might be set wrong. I'm opening the pad file  on the host computer thru a mapped drive to the database folder (on the host). The pad file opens up just fine on the host pc - I'm not sure where else to go with this. Any help would be appreciated. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: problem connecting ACT to database on another computer

Hello Hodgem,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You will have to enable the sharing option within the database before it can be accessed by other workstations.  To enable the Share option, try running Sage ACT! using the Windows 'Run as administrator' option.  To do this: close Sage ACT! > right click on Sage ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator' > attempt to enable share option.

Greg Martin
Sage

Ok, that did work as far as sharing the database. Thank you. So does ACT need to be open on the host PC in order for the other pc to access?

No. When accessing a shared database, it does not have to be open on the host machine.

Greg Martin
Sage

Ok great - I will try it in about 1/2 hour. Also, do i need to modify the PAD file on the client PC, or add the client license # to the host license?

ok, the database is share, but still getting above error on client machine. Anything else i can try or check? Please let me know about above with adding license to host machine, or anything with PAD file. Thanks!

hi - please let me know if there's anything else i can try - thanks!

[ Edited ]

Here is an article with several steps that can help resolve this issue: KB Article 19640.  Since you are accessing a shared database, the first 2 items I would look at are:

1. Firewall or Anti-virus software is blocking access

2.There is a problem on the client machine resolving the name of the computer hosting the database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Open up the PAD file in notepad and change the host machine name to the host machines ip address.

It will look something like this:
HOST="MYCOMPUTER"

and you should change to the IP. Again something like this:
HOST="192.168.0.10"

Hi - i know this may sound silly, but youre referring to the PAD file on the host machine, correct? I say this because the pad file i see is thru the mapped drive, so essentially its the pad file on the host computer. please let me know.