Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

printing address labels

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

printing address labels

I am trying to figure out how to collapse the blank lines on my labels. I have the Can shrink on Yes, But it is not fixing the problem. I spend all day moving stuff around on the template. I would appreciate some help. Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author abrown
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: printing address labels

What you are describing is most often caused by fields overlapping. When the fields overlap, the Can Shrink property won't work. What you need to do is pay attention to the Top and Height properties for the field. The field height does not set automatically for the type point size so you need to adjust it for the font and size you are using. With the field height properly set for the font size, it's best if the fields are touching but not overlapping. If you still have problems, then allow 0.01 between fields.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author abrown
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

What you are describing is most often caused by fields overlapping. When the fields overlap, the Can Shrink property won't work. What you need to do is pay attention to the Top and Height properties for the field. The field height does not set automatically for the type point size so you need to adjust it for the font and size you are using. With the field height properly set for the font size, it's best if the fields are touching but not overlapping. If you still have problems, then allow 0.01 between fields.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thank you, I will try that and see what happens

Sorry Roy, I am still not understanding this. I am moving heights all around and nothing is happening. I guess I am doing something wrong.

I am having this same issue. Using Act 10. No combination of moving fields around and changing Shrink etc. can get the last night with City, State and Zip to close the blank spaces.  No over lap going on and I tried to move the fields slightly further apart but still getting the same result.
Avid Listener

I think you are describing a different problem from that of collapsing blank lines; it appears to me that you want to compress fields of different lengths (city, state zip) so they appear neatly. If so, have a look at this topic in the program Help file: "Removing blank spaces from envelope and label fields". It's quite tedious, but it works.

I did try that but when I get to the section where I have to choose Custom in the Field menu, I do not find that option. There's a drop down for Contact or My Record and then all of my usual fields but nothing that says Custom.  Any thoughts.

I spent three hours using the "solution" for closing up blank spaces on labels; it did NOT work.

The instructions in fact show the script written in two DIFFERENT ways (see solution item b., where they display the script, and item C where they repeat it.  Those two sets of lines do NOT match--no clue which one is correct) and also as two different scripts (OnPage and OnPrint--there is no option for OnPage when you follow the instructions).

Is there ANYONE who would be willing to create this label for me?  Just the "custom1" field????

I am begging you--I need to do 350 labels on a quarterly basis.  This was PERFECT in ACT! 6, but ACT 10 cannot convert my old labels for some stupid reason.

HELP ME!!!

Susan in Boston

Platinum Elite Contributor

Here is a link to a new book on ACT! report and dashboards and it includes the script you need.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129