Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

parsing the month from a date field

parsing the month from a date field

I am moving my client list from a flat file to ACT 2006, soon to be 2007. I do a monthly mailer and several reports from this database. Many of the selection criteria used involve the month of a date associated with the contact. I would like to parse this month out of the date field into its own separate field that is automatically updated whenever the original date field is changed. Is this possible? It was easy doing it in Excel. I am not a programmer, but am familiar with old Basic and a limited amount of Excel macros.

If not, is it possible to do lookups based on the month of a date field? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: parsing the month from a date field

Yes if it is an annual event date field. The annual event lookup ignores the year.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for your reply. The answer won't quite do it for me. I didn't see an option to add to the existing lookup. I need to choose some months based on certain criteria, other months based on other criteria.  It would be so much easier for me to parse the month value out into its own field like I did in Excel.

Are there operators, like in Excel, that allow us to pick values out of field strings and put them into their own fields? Do I export all the data to Excel, perform my operations, and re-import? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Dean,

Its easy in ACT!

example to get March 2008 data

Right Click on your Date field and select the  Lookup option

Select:   On or After  date   03/01/2008

Then; do another lookup on same date field and

Select; Narrow Lookup, then select  On or Before date: 03/31/2008

There you go. Cheers - FillStaffBill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

The contains operator allows looking for a string within character data. Date formatted fields aren't character values so a string search won't help. Suggestion: create a temporary group and add each search to the group then create a lookup of the contacts in the group.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129