Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

outlook shuts down whilst working in Act

outlook shuts down whilst working in Act

Outlook 2003 and Act! Pro Version 17.2.217.0, Hot Fix 1, Windows 7 which is installed on 4 terminals and  Xp on 1 terminal. Server is Xp and shared.

One of the pc's (windows 7) is shutting down whilst working in Act and other programs. Today when working in Excel, Outlook, for no reason started shutting down, processing whilst still working in Excell processed faster and then slowed as Outlook automatically started reopening . A couple of months ago we found that no outlook calendar dates could be sent to this pc as it would freeze the system and we would have to shut it down if anyone did send a calendar date.  We are now using the Act Calendar.

Another pc (windows 7) is also freezing when reminders pop up. A third pc (windows 7) also locked up whilst in outlook and Act. used the the task manager, logged off and re logged in.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: outlook shuts down whilst working in Act

Minimum system requirements for V17 Pro says it works with Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (32 BIT) (Latest Service Packs Recommended)

http://www.act.com/products/system/v17/pro

I suggest you do the upgrade of Office to 2007 Professional 32Bit - and if necessary after this - reinstall  Act!

Do not forget to back up the database before any change - and put copy of the ZIP file to a USB memory or external disk for more security.

Best regards and Good luck.

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Employee

Hello Theana,

Thank you for using the Act! Community forums. You'll find full compatibility guidance for your version of Act! in the support article I've linked below. You'll see that Office 2003 should work correctly with V17.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767/

The issue you're describing however is a little unusual, and may take a bit of isolation to find out where the problem is coming from. If it's intermittent and not always when either working in Act! or having Act! open, then there is the possibility that the issue lies with your Office installation. In which case it may be best to consider repairing or reinstalling the Office package.

Prior to this, if there are any specific error messages given that might help point us in the right direction, that may help. If you are familiar with Windows Event viewer, it would be worth seeing if there's any specific errors given in here at the time of the issue occurring.

Hopefully this helps, but get back in touch if you have any further questions or information.

HI Keith

Thanks for your reply.

This issue has been going on for over 6 days and appears to be migrating to the other pc's. This morning we were all locked out and I had to shut down the server, manually as it wasnt responding. Our IT chap has already reinstalled both packages as you have suggested ie Act and Outlook  only because  one of your support chaps suggested this was done as he could nt do a remote repair. Our IT chap has also called on a separate occasion and must have spent at least 2 hours on the phone. I am dreading getting the invoice for all his time.

We have some screen shots on the events viewer showing lots of warnings and errors but can only send them to an email address. Also we had to take a photo with a mobile as we cannot open up outlook. I now cannot upload them within this message so if you give me your email address I can send them.

I am seriously beginining to believe that Act does not work with outlook 2003 which is something I checked before purchasing!

If you care to email me I will send the photos of the events.

Nickel Contributor

To open outlook without any add-ons type outlook.exe /safe in the search programs and files area on windows 7 machines or  press the Windows Key + R to open the run dialog box and type outlook /safe then click the OK button.  

Once open you could disable the ACT! outlook plugins so they don't start  when outlook is opened normally at least then you will be able to use Outlook and then maybe test the problem on only one machine to figure out what is going om.  But as mentioned on an earlier response office 2003 is not supported with Act! V17