Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

outlook 2010 - unable to add Act adress book

outlook 2010 - unable to add Act adress book

I'm using

- Win7 64bits workstation

- Win7 is running on an 64GB SSD (C:\) and Act/Office is installed on another spinning harddisk (E:\)

- Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 5 installed on local workstation (not RDP on the server)

- Outlook 14.0.4734.1000 (32bit) using IMAP Email acounts on Gmail (working perfectly)

our Act-database is on another Win7 32bits machine (acting as a server)

Act is working perfect on my workstation, opening and using the database on the server with a .pad file over our LAN

so ... life is beautifull ! ... or is it ?

the problem is linking Outlook and Act ...

- in Act

the Email system is setup as "Outlook" and the correct database is set ... google sync is disabled

I even checked the registry keys and there is indeed 1 "outlook adress book" key present

I have tested this by mannually removing the registry key and setting it again, and indeed it appears ...

when I click on a contact's Email adress, a new Outlook Email is opened and the contact's Email adress is filled in ...

when I send the message NO history is created though

- in Outlook

there are 2 Act-icons ("Sync Contacts with Act" and "Sync Calender with Act"), but they are not working

there is also no "quick attach" button to be found anywhere ...

when trying to add the Act adress book into Outlook, it doesn't show the Act adress book in the list when adding a new "other adress book"

the act adress book not being added is presumably the reason why the sync isn't working and why the "quick attach" button isn't there ...

I looked into the add-on settings in Outlook, and the Act add-ons are there, not blocked ...

I have been running in circles for the last few days ...

what the heck am I doing wrong ?!

it's soooooooooooo frustrating !

please help

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: outlook 2010 - unable to add Act adress book

Hi Dirk,

There are 2 things I would suggest you check.

1.  go to File>Options>Add ins and check that the Act! Outlook Add-in is not disabled

2. go to File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings...>Macro Settings and make sure that this is set to Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled.

you might also have some success if you search your issue at www.kb.swiftpage.com.

Hope you find this helpful.

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

> 1.  go to File>Options>Add ins and check that the Act! Outlook Add-in is not disabled

checked, "ACT! Outlook AddInn" is listed under the "Active Addins" ...

> 2. go to File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings...>Macro Settings and make sure that this is set to Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled.

checked, it is set to this ...

still I can't add the Act! adress book to my Outlook ...

what am I doing wrong ?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !

:-)

[ Edited ]

what I should add : when clicking on a contact's email adress in Act, an outlook Email message opens with the contacts email adress filled in ...

also email templates work perfectly for sending Emails through Outlook ...

when clicking on the "contact sync" (in outlook) it pumped all my act contacts into outlook contacts ...

so act appears to be linked to outlook already, but outlook just refuses to see the act database as a new adressbook ...

I'm running around in circles here ...

could it have something to do with the fact that our database is on a server ?

\\server\c\Users\Peter\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\Company.pad

can anybody help me ?

anybody ?

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Dirk,

There is nothing wrong with having the database on a server.  As long as you are running both Act! and Outlook locally that setup is fine, we have several clients who operate with this setup without issue.

have you tried this on any other machines? if yes is it the same issue, or is it only affecting this computer?

This is a very drastic step, but might be worth considering:

I do know that Act! has been known to have issues if it is installed before Office.

If you installation process went Act!, then Office, I would suggest uninstalling both, install Office first, then Act!

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

[ Edited ]

I did try it on another machine (on the server where the SQL Act database lives) to have everything "local"

EXACTLY the same thing ...

on my desktop I'm sure that Office was already installed before act ... on the server also (but I'm not 100% sure)

recently updated from Act!2013 tot Act!16, so surely it was later than Office ...

how can I debug this ?

it's driving me up the wall !

a few days ago I tried it on a new machine, clean Win7 install, with Office 2010 and Act 16 ...

installing the SQL server locally (typical setup) with the demo database ...

EXACTLY the same problem as on my desktop machine, it doesn't see the Act adressbook when trying to add it in Outlook ...

the 2 icons (sync calendar and sync contacts) were present though ...

so even there : back to square 1 !

then today I uninstalled Act! completely from my desktop system

after uninstalling and rebooting, the 2 Act icons (sync calendar and sync contacts) in Outlook disappeared

then I re-installed Act!16 again ...

all went well, and after installing, the 2 act icons came back into Outlook

but still I can't add the act adressbook into my Outlook 2010

what in heavens name am I doing wrong ?!

does it work in Outlook 2010 anyway ?

I really need some help with this ... please ...