Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

old database problem

Highlighted

old database problem

Hello.

We had a user's computer die recently. I was able to recover data from the drive but I am having some trouble trying to restore one of their local databases to a new machine. Both machines were using the same version of ACT! and have the same OS.

I have the original .PAD, .ADF, .ALF, and the database files folder in a folder on the new machine. When I try to open the files in ACT! using the "Open Database" utility this prompt opens: "ACT! will now verify the database. The process will take several minutes."

After the prompt another box with the text "Waiting..." pops up. The process doesn't go anywhere from there.

I have restarted the machine and tried importing the .PAD and .ADF. Are there any changes I need to make to open the old database or is there a better way to handle this?

Unfortunately we don't have any backups of this database or access to the original machine, just the data from the hard drive.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: old database problem

Be sure you're following these steps.
- put the ADF, ALF, and PAD file in the same directory
- delete PAD file (has no data)
- use Act! to open ADF

This process should connect to SQL and generate a new PAD file.
If not check that you're using the same or newer version of SQL as the previous system.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca