Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

no icons available when creating custom activity types

Copper Contributor

no icons available when creating custom activity types

I am creating a few new activity types in ACT 2010.  There is a default icon that shows up, but when I click Browse, I get an explorer window, but it does not seem to be pointed at a folder that has any icons to choose from.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone know where to look?

Re: no icons available when creating custom activity types

Creating icons is a very simple process.

Save photos, drawings, whatever you wish, as bmp files.  Some bmp's seem to be created/loaded differently so I recommend you open the saved item in Paint and re-save it as a bmp file.  Save the file to your System 32 folder, located in in your Windows folder on your c-drive.  I found it useful to create a folder called "Icons" in my System 32 folder and then, within that folder, create a folder called "Unused Icons" so I could create several Icons at the same time and differentiate which ones I had used somewhere.

Once you save the jpg or bmp as a new bmp in the Icons folder, go back into the folder, right-click on the desired icon and re-name the extension on the item to ".ico" .  You now have a usable icon for wherever you wish to assign it.  It sounds like a complicated process but, once you go through it a couple times, you can take clip art or any selection of jpg's or bmp's and make several new icons in the space of a couple minutes.  I have several different icons in ACT and, in some cases, I found it useful to create a drawing object in Paint, with a capital letter and a background color, to help remind me [the"W" is the waiver form] and [the "I" is the special Insite fax}.  Your icons are only limited by your desired scheme or imagination.

Note: If you create custom commands in ACT,  the icon must be assigned at the time you create the custom command because ACT will not allow you to go back and change the icon later without re-creating the custom command.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your help.  I may have to resort to creating my own.  I was hoping to find the location of the default ACT icons, however.  I guess I was assuming that Sage supplied a few basic icons, like the one you see when you try to create a new activity type. I can't find them after searching my hard drive for *.ico nor can I find the icons ACT is using for its standard calls, meetings and to-dos.  Any clue where these are stored?

I'm not sure.  My guess is they are built into the basic program and not accessible without a developer's kit, if then.  I don't ever remember seeing a separate icon file for any of the ACT versions.  I suspect the ability to change some of the internal icons would probably have to be an ACT upgrade and that would only happen if enough people were asking for it.
Copper Contributor

OK, thanks!

I have tried this and could not find a way to make it appear they way I made the icon. Any suggestions?

-Desperate Mid-Atlantic

Copper Contributor

Sorry, I never got around to doing anything about this problem, so no solutions here!

Copper Super Contributor

You can get free icons to use here -

www.axialis.com/free/icons/

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com