Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

no history records created (shortcut attachments) after ACT Pro v16 installation

no history records created (shortcut attachments) after ACT Pro v16 installation

[ Edited ]

I am a long time ACT! user, and just upgraded from ACT Premium 2011 to ACT Pro v16.   No data base sync used. No sharing of data bases needed. The data base is on my local machine.

So I successfully installed Pro and downgraded my SQL databases using ACTdiag to run on Pro v16.

Now I am missing History records that were previously shortcut file attachments.  They do show up in the Documents tab but they are gone from the History tab!  I can see all the shortcut attachments in my 'Attachment' folder, but is there a way or recreating the Histories?  I don't see a way to do this in ACTdiag or anywhere else.

I created the History records with shortcut file attachments in Premium 2011 by using the Documents tab (and therefore it creates a History tab shortcut too).  The file shortcuts were for various file types; pdf, MS Word docs, jpg, etc.  None of the file shortcuts appeared.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  How can I get those History records to appear? They have notes in the regarding and details fields I need. 

On Win 10, all updates have been done to all Microsoft programs.

Administrator

Re: no history records created (shortcut attachments) after ACT Pro v16 installation

Hi AlKernc,

I've done a bit of digging on this issue, and it appears that there was a change made to the way that Histories were recorded after Act! 2011. As of Act! 2012, a new History record is no longer created when a file is added to the Documents tab. This is still true now with Act v19.2.

Additionally, any existing histories of type "Library Document", while still existing in the database, are not displayed in the History tab in Act!, after a database containing them has been upgraded to Act! 2012 or later.

It's currently unclear why the history recording behaviour was changed, however we are looking into it, and have opened a defect to capture that these existing histories are not displayed. This is defect D-07191.

It appears that with some manual SQL database manipulation, these history records can be restored into the History tab under a different history type, however this then prevents the actual file appearing in the Documents tab (although the file is still attached to the history record). Unfortunately it's an either/or type of scenario in this case.

Please let us know if this would be an acceptable workaround for you.

Re: no history records created (shortcut attachments) after ACT Pro v16 installation

Thanks for the reply and your investigation!  I would not need the files to appear in the Documents tab. If it is possible to restore the History records under the History tab, that would be perfectly acceptable.  Having the History link to the shortcut file is required.  I also had Regarding and Details notes entered for many of the History attachments -- if those could be preserved, that would be extremely helpful too.

IF a workaround is developed with manual SQL manipulation, must I run the downgrade conversion from ACT Premium 2011 to Pro v16 again?  I am not using my ACT Pro v16 databases right now in case I must convert them again.   OR will the workaround just reattach the History records to the Pro v16 data bases?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Administrator

Hi AlKernc,

The workaround would require us receiving a backup copy of your database in its current v16 format. Any customisations to the regarding and details fields on the history record would be retained alongside the attached file.

I'll contact you via PM to arrange this in more detail.